New queen - whats happening?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon88

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
My hive has replaced the queen and she is laying lots of drone brood. Can this happen initially or is she not mated well?

20220703_171114.jpg20220703_171139.jpg

This is what has happened in my colony. Except more drone brood including super. My problem is finding her, obviously small enough to go through the queen excluder. I have separated the colony into two, giving each half a patch of eggs and young larvae from my good queen in the hope that I will find out this week which half she is in and there will be fewer bees to search through.

This is what has happened in my colony. Except more drone brood including super. My problem is finding her, obviously small enough to go through the queen excluder. I have separated the colony into two, giving each half a patch of eggs and young larvae from my good queen in the hope that I will find out this week which half she is in and there will be fewer bees to search through.
Are you sure you have a queen? Could it be a drone laying worker if there are eggs above the QE? How long since you last saw a queen / know you had a queen?

There was definitely a queen in there. I have removed her now and will introduce a bought one today. I haven't had much success raising queens. There must not be many drones in my area for them to mate with. I don't know of any other bee keepers near to me.

I found brood at the bottom of the super as well.

Even though she is a poor layer would she still suppress the workers ovaries?

Oh dear. I probably have two nucleus hives of laying workers then. Most drone brood in super. Last saw queen on 26 May - result of charged queen cell left when they swarmed in week 2 of Bailey.
1st June another single queen cell. Then last week drone brood.

I would be grateful for a plan of action before I open the hives. If indeed I have just more drone brood in both.

I couldn’t see eggs because somebody had borrowed my torch and I need that or bright daylight to see them. There were tiny larvae. Made me wonder - hasn’t occurred to me before - when workers lay multiple eggs in a cell do they all hatch ?

Two. Sort of.
Hive B has the new queen.
Hive C had a charged queen cell on 15 June. Looked like a possible supersedure. I didn’t want to risk the same happening so removed her to a nuc (Cc). On 22 June all looked well then 29 June there was a charged queen cell and no queen.
29 June I checked the frame the queen cell had been on in hive C and it was open.
Hive A is the one I tried a Bailey comb change, which turned into a disaster and is the one with drone brood 29 June.

There was definitely a queen in there. I have removed her now and will introduce a bought one today. I haven't had much success raising queens. There must not be many drones in my area for them to mate with. I don't know of any other bee keepers near to me.

I found brood at the bottom of the super as well.

Even though she is a poor layer would she still suppress the workers ovaries?
Yes, you would not get laying workers if a queen was present.
If you register with beebase, you can see how many apiaries are within a short distance of you, You might be surprised as to how many there are. (Although some could be historical and not have any bees in them).

Latest posts

Back