new queen piping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Spinnaker

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 + 1 nuc
Having been declared queenless by the bee inspector, I acquired myself a blue marked queen on Friday. As I was bringing her home in her cage with 5 workers, we could clearly hear her piping.
Information on here says that is a sign of imminent swarming - is there any other reason she might be doing it - stress of being cooped up?

She was more tuneful than some woodwind sections I've heard! Perhaps she's gifted! :biggrinjester:

(Just hope she can lay!)

OK forgive me, what does queen piping sound like? We have a second colony and a couple of times this summer (including today) when inspecting the brood box we have heard a sound like the wind rushing past a window. Very odd but ignored. It was quite loud, so is this queen piping? A little like a wail?
All the best,
Sam.

Hi the Q usually pipes soon after she has emerged from her cell, it has been assumed that this is to get replies from other queens but like you I have heard it when she is isolated from others. Books often say that they pipe befor they emerge from the cell in my experience this is incorrect though they will often make loud clicking noises from within the cacoon just prior to emerging.
Alan

Hi the Q usually pipes soon after she has emerged from her cell, it has been assumed that this is to get replies from other queens but like you I have heard it when she is isolated from others. Books often say that they pipe befor they emerge from the cell in my experience this is incorrect though they will often make loud clicking noises from within the cacoon just prior to emerging.
Alan

My tutor called it screaming!!! can you imagine my stress levels on the day of the training. I'm off for a listen on that link ;)

Just listened to it! How odd!! Sounds like she's yapping.....might have something to do with being a woman ;)

Last edited:
Ahhhh, now I know what she's doing.........she's cursing :p

Back