New queen new QCs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italic63

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hi everyone. So my newly mated queen has been laying for about a week now. Nice brood pattern and very lively. I've noticed however a couple of QC on the edge of one of the frames. Given that the Queen seems to be fine and that we are well into July, should I destroy the Queen cells or not?
Thanks

Hi everyone. So my newly mated queen has been laying for about a week now. Nice brood pattern and very lively. I've noticed however a couple of QC on the edge of one of the frames. Given that the Queen seems to be fine and that we are well into July, should I destroy the Queen cells or not?
Thanks
Useful to check if they are charged queen cells containing a larvae or empy play-cups. The latter are fairly common and I just remove them so I don't get distracted by them next time.

If she is an introduced accepted Q then they are likely waiting for viable brood to replace her with one they want of their own.
If she is of their own then they may just be hedging their bets until they are truly satisfied, one can knock back the cells but if they continue to produce them then let them get on with it and could be Superscedure if they have found fault with her.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back