New Queen in in office draw....(requeening pt2)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curry756

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello,

My new queen and entourage has turned up today, Thanks Neil (nexstarneil). I am planning on introducing her today. My plan is to:

1) Find my existing queen and put her and a couple of her nurse bees into a new queen butler cage with fondant and transfer her into the house somewhere - spray lightly with water daily?

2) Close up queenless hive for about 30 mins?

3) Mark and transfer new queenie and about 6? of her entourage into a new queen butler cage with fondant. Leaving plastic tag in place so she cant get out.

4) Put her into the middle of the brood within an hour of making the colony queenless?

5) Leave them alone for a day? or two?

6) Saturday? Sunday? check the hive and remove the plastic tag from the butler cage and replace her back into the hive inside the cage. This will allow the bees to free her by eating the fondant.

7) Wednesday - check that all is well - look for eggs? if so kill old queen in house - release nurse bees next to hive

8) Following Saturday - check all is well - look for eggs? if so kill old queen in house - release nurse bees next to hive

This my plan that I would like to start today. Anything wrong with it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

OK thanks. Conflicting information as usual on these forums. I appreciate the advice though. There is no right and wrong though i guess so a lot of this is all down to personal preference.

I found this in the end, which is pretty much now what i have done.

http://www.-------------/files/library/queen_introduction_b9_1306864750.pdf

I took off the plastic cap and i will leave the hive alone for 9 days now as per the BBKA website.

What do I do with my queen for 9 days?

nope - my colony is only 4-5 frames at the moment anyway :(

Just passing on what I was taught by Clive de Bryn.. if you have found that you can leave support bees in, that's fine. I have never risked the possibility of extra aggression. As you say, lots of differing views.

Just passing on what I was taught by Clive de Bryn.. if you have found that you can leave support bees in, that's fine. I have never risked the possibility of extra aggression. As you say, lots of differing views.

Yup I'm with you. Anything for an easier ride :) Thanks for taking time to reply though it's good to discuss options!

All in now - now we wait.....

Update.

Hive inspection today and I found the newly introduced queen. Yay. I marked her again and saw a full frame of eggs too.

So far so good.

I always leave the attendant bees in with the queen - never had any problems. Whichever wqy you do it, don't leave queen without attendants until you put her in the hive
As for the rest of your plan, sounds good - although you could leave the hive Q- for a couple of hours before putting new queen in

Latest posts

Back