New Queen Cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone help? I have queen cells in my new nuc.I transfered the nuc to brood box about 4 weeks ago.It's a new queen that seems to be laying well There is also plenty of room in the brood box. Should i try an A/S or just keep knocking down the new cells?

Regards Wayne :confused:

Can anyone help? I have queen cells in my new nuc.I transfered the nuc to brood box about 4 weeks ago.It's a new queen that seems to be laying well There is also plenty of room in the brood box. Should i try an A/S or just keep knocking down the new cells?

by plenty of room, what do you mean..empty drawn comb ? or un drawn foundation

Honey block can cause QC in a nuc, thats when a sudden flow ( or syrup feed) makes the bees dump honey in the brood area as there are insuffient young bees to make wax for the comb biulders to draw storage comb

Hi by plenty of room i mean some drawn comb 3/4 frames foundation 3 frames and I put a super on top after my last inspection as a precautian (because i'm still a bit wet behind the ears lol) Still confused though

Are you finding queen cells or queen cell cups? Because all bees build the latter and they mean nothing much at all.

Welcome to the forums Wayne

If you are unsure please take a few pictures next time you inspect them.

I agree with MuswellMetro chances are they were cramped in the nuc and ran out of space to store nectar and pollen and space for the queen to lay in so they needed to prepare to swarm by building queen cells, now you have them in a full size brood chamber they should cancel their plans.

Thinking on they were probably cell cups (I'm a bit naive at the moment) thanks very much :cheers2:

Latest posts

Back