New (Prospective) Beekeeper in Essex

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am brand new to beekeeping and I have a few questions

1 ) Am I too late to start a colony this year

2 ) If not then does anyone know where can I get some bees in Essex

Ta

Gordon

I think it is a good idea to get bees now, especially if you get a nuc, as that way they won't biuld up to massive numbers this year and you will have a chance to gain confidence. You are most unlilkely to get honey this year though. Suggest you go to your local beekeeping assaociation meeting and talk to them. Someone there might sell you a nuc. :)

Alternativly, still join the association and tap up someone you can do the inspections with on their bees. Read everything you can get your hands on and then realise that everyone does things differently anyway. You then know if beekeeping is for you.

If you don't yet have your hives wait until thornes have their sale and take a trip and buy at a lovely price. Plus most of the rest of the kit. I saved a small fortune on bits.

Last thing to do is get your name known amongst your association that you want a nuc and someone may breed one next year for you.

Thats an alternative and pretty much goes on what I have done.

But either way, get some bees, sitting in front of a hive watching them come and go, and seeing all the different colour pollens is fascinating stuff.

Latest posts

Back