New products to try ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerford

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
National
Hi all. Just picked up a copy of Maisemore's new catalogue and they have really gone to town on varroa control products for 2010.

Just a few questions on useage experiences ...

1. Has anyone used Api Life Var ? What is it's kill rate ? When do you treat ?
2. Has anyone got experience of Bee Vital ? again kill rate ? how do you treat ?
3. Finally - BeeVital Hive Clean - another new one for me - any ideas ?

regards

S

I know someone using Hive clean but as they are newbies that is not much help really.

PH

Regards api- life var,yes was using it before it was invented,use in the autumn same time as you would apiguard,very effective if done correctly.

I'm using Bee Vital Hive Clean, but as I have only had the hive since June 09, I have very little data.

I will have more after the end of this year as I will be using it on five hives for a whole year.

I will be using at EVERY inspection.

Yours Roy

Hi

Hive clean is Oxalic, I would be loathed to use it on every inspection.

Regards Ian

Hi

Not me...............I think used correctly it works very well.

Regards Ian

I have seen this product advertised, but it is difficult to find anything written as to what its ingredients are. Hard to find any definite accounts of its effectiveness either. Any readers here with experience of using it?
P F

I've used 'Hive Clean' selectively on one hive in my apiary for nearly a year. All others are treated with a mixture of soft chemicals and IPM. Results appear to suggest that it's very effective with a mite drop consistant with the other methods. The manufacturers claim that it encourages a 'hygienic' response in bees and I have to say that the dead mites stuck to the old sticky paper, often exhibit damage. These are not field tests and there are no controls but it seems to work for me.

Last edited:
Hi

So simply put go forth and mix up some Oxalic:smilielol5:

...and then just mix it in the right proportions with saccharose, citric acid, propolis and essentials oils and crikey, get it right and make it in sufficient quantities you could save yourself, well, the price of a couple of pints.

Last edited:
Hi

Would not even bother with the other ingredeints, they are not what packs the punch.............................However it does work and saves people mixing themselves, so pays your money and takes your choice.

Regards Ian

I agree, the oxalic does for the mites but I reckon (but don't know) that the sugars and the propolis get a bit of mutual cleaning going. My problem is that I'd buy the 'Hive Clean' and the pints.

Cheers...

Most likely be better to pour your pint over the bee's,at least they get to die pissed and happy.

What, waste good cider on bees. I love 'em but there are limits...

Back