New poly nuc's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike a

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
Just signed up today on Rooftops mailing list

I was very interested to see he will be stocking a new 6 frame poly lang nuc soon. I am keen to get my hands on one of the jumbos as I run a few deep nationals.

KnjSsq.jpg

Perfectly sized imho with divider in place (3 frames) to bridge the gap between mini mating nuc and full size hive with dummy boards.

Best thing since sliced bread? - maybe not but for around £30 its time to start saving a few pennies.

ps. Roofs - I hope I get a nice discount now :rofl:

they look good have been looking at them for a bit now still not in stock when will they ever be in stock, keep us up to date please when there for sale.

News from the Modern Beekeeping newsletter is that, although most of the nuc hive components have now arrived at last, not all are here (plastic frame sliders and varroa mesh) so we have to wait some more.

I guess Rooftops will provide more details?

FG

poly nucs

I'm no expert but we had a talk on poly nucs at our bee keeping club and the general opinion is that bees don't usually live in a plastic box i would be interested to hear from any one that is using one :beatdeadhorse5:

Light the blue touchpaper and stand well back................

Yawn....

I am not going to ask who the misguided person was who gave the talk but I would be delighted to be invited to put the other side.

PH

I just bought 5 from Swienty direct. Langstroth 6 frames which also converts to National 6 frame. £33-98 each delivered.

http://swienty.com/shop/vare.asp?side=0&vareid=100035&catid=1091

Anyone wanting Langstroth nucs in Spring? PM me. LOL

PH

I've tried looking at the Tomasz Lyson site but the English Language version is'nt bringing up any of their Polystyrene hives, let alone their Langstroth nuc but their Polish Language website is displaying the Lang nuc quoted at 75 zlotys which is equivalent to £15 (postage paid to Polish addresses). I do'nt know why they are'nt listing it on the English Language website but if anyone is very keen to get some they'll send express via UPS - delivery usually within a week. You could try emailing them for a quote for postage to UK.

See link : http://www.lyson.com.pl/p3028297_mi...-podkarmiaczka--daszek-ramki-niemalowany.html

If you left click their "kontakt" button that'll give you their email address and tel no's - I think they have some English speaking staff in their shop.

If anyone has any experience of dealing with them they may like to comment - I contacted them when I considered importing their polystyren hives last year but decided to leave it until I'm sure whether I want to move to Langs.

Last edited:
I find this just so quaintly amusing too! I'm with Poly Hive (even bigger yawn).

Simple question: What are the opinions of beeks in Denmark and Germany where polyhives are virtually the only ones offered for sale?

It sounds to me that a 'biased towards wooden hives/nucs person' was stating an obvious fact (in that bees have lived in 'wooden' trees for millenia. Of course there were no plastic boxes around for choice!) and as most are still using wooden bee-housing in the UK, that would be a general opinion for those people in that particular place at that particular time.

Yes the natural home would be wood in a forest, the natural flora before man became a farmer (and has increasingly removed those forests for unnatural agriculture). Honey bees were going strong long before our ancestors climbed down from the trees - just a mere 4 million years ago!

A bit like the progression from horse transport (that, or Shanks' pony) to internal combustion engined cars (via external combustion engines) over the last couple hundred years. From wood-fired cooking to modern electric or gas ovens. From 'wattle and daub' homes to cities of modern-day houses.

At some point opinion and facts need to be separated. They are different.

Regards, RAB

Jezd
If you are keen I am certain Rooftops does a frame converter but it depends if you are on National 14x12 or standard.
Polyhive this is just a question not a dig, do you have any trouble with woodpeckers or are polyhives no more or less likely to attack
kev

I'm no expert but we had a talk on poly nucs at our bee keeping club and the general opinion is that bees don't usually live in a plastic box i would be interested to hear from any one that is using one :beatdeadhorse5:
Well in nature, bees don't live in rectangular wooden boxes either! What a nonsense idea. The scandinavians have been using polys for thirty years because of their superior thermal qualities. Poly is completely recyclable, cedar wood is not!

"Poly is completely recyclable, cedar wood is not"

I think not

Strangely, most hobbies attract people who glory in choosing the latest technology.. eg computers, breeding quails, cars etc..Even gardeners are always trying summat new... But many UK beeks appear to stay content with what was done 50 years ago...

I suspect it is becuase it's one of those areas where people learn by doing and the bodies resposnible for training are run by people who have learned by doing...

" Straw hives are incomparably better for bees than any other kind of hives yet introduced. Nothing better is needed, and we believe nothing better will ever be found " Petteigrew, The Handy Book of Bees, 1875

If we aren't open to new ideas how can we progress we would all still be living in caves. I have not tried poly hives but I'm looking into some nationals to see if they will work for me

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back