New on here

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi Everyone
I hope this is the right place to put my first post.
A little about me self used to keep bees about 10 years but moving house etc had to give it up 5 years ago but I have new house now with space to keep a couple of hives in the garden used to have Nationals but thinking of changing to Langstroth always found Nationals to small ?? my opinion.
So many diffrent retailers and the prices have realy gone up and the prices of bees with nucs £140.00 upwards any guidance appreciated 10 years sounds long to keep bees but I know most of you would disagree counting myself:)

I live South Wales nearly forgot

thanks Grub

Hi Grub. Welcome.
Can't comment on how the prices have changed. Like you I had a gap in my beekeeping. I kept bees with my Dad in the early 70's when I was a child and I have now returned to it - in my third year in this century.

You've got the time to decide what hive you prefer. There are some who agree with you that Nats are a bit small.

Adam

Hi Everyone
A little about me self used to keep bees about 10 years but moving house etc had to give it up 5 years ago but I have new house now with space to keep a couple of hives in the garden used to have Nationals but thinking of changing to Langstroth always found Nationals to small ?? my opinion.
So many diffrent retailers and the prices have realy gone up and the prices of bees with nucs £140.00 upwards any guidance appreciated 10 years sounds long to keep bees but I know most of you would disagree counting myself:)

thanks Grub

well first welcome to the forum.

i agree standard national are too small for modern hydrid Bees in a good season or Carnies in any season, so myself i use National 14X12 broods as BS national bits are easy to obtain

polystyrene langstroth are cheep at £17.50 for a brood box http://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/ or lower especially if you can source a continental supplier who will supply to UK but Langstroths are expensive if you want Cedar hives

if you want cedar ask around the forum or look on the used sale part of the forum, they are not allowed to advertise on here but with names like hivemaker ,you take a view on what they make and others like Tom Bick are craftsman cabinet makers :)

Bees, well £200 seems to be the shop price for early season nucs, so contact your local BKA and see if they have any, i'd go for mid season NUC or an early season queenless frame of brood and two of stores to make your own Nuc

Also try thornes sale for cheeper bits , it started today

Last edited:
Hi from another south wales beekeeper. Where abouts you from?

Being an old hand, why not get on swarm lists? You'll have the knowledge and confidence to deal with any nasty surprises.

Thanks Everyone
Craig not that far from you.

Near Pencoed

Grub

Welcome

Hi
Welcome to our forum.

Why not start to use 14 X 12. You only need a simple eke on the National brood box. You will be able to move over , or leave in situ, your existing frames and add the bigger frames as you clean up in the Spring.
I have all my hives on 14 X 12 now and find that in most circumstances there is always enough brood space:cheers2:

Welcome back to the craft.

If discussing poly ask who made it? If it's not ex Swienty then I would have a good think about it.

Yes the single national is too small and to be honest always has been, it's a silly hive that should have been given up long ago.

If I had the totally free choice based on my experience it would be poly Langstroth for me but as I am planning on selling a few nucs then I have gone for the National for my sins.

PH

Hi Everyone

thanks Grub

welcome grub

the shop prices for NUC's are pretty expensive, but there are sellers in this group that sell NUC's a lot cheaper....

it will be interesting to see how this Winter impacts Nuc prices in Spring, for better or worse depending on what the losses are like.

PS welcome grub

well first welcome to the forum.

i agree standard national are too small for modern hydrid Bees in a good season or Carnies in any season, so myself i use National 14X12 broods as BS national bits are easy to obtain

polystyrene langstroth are cheep at £17.50 for a brood box http://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/ or lower especially if you can source a continental supplier who will supply to UK but Langstroths are expensive if you want Cedar hives

if you want cedar ask around the forum or look on the used sale part of the forum, they are not allowed to advertise on here but with names like hivemaker ,you take a view on what they make and others like Tom Bick are craftsman cabinet makers :)

Bees, well £200 seems to be the shop price for early season nucs, so contact your local BKA and see if they have any, i'd go for mid season NUC or an early season queenless frame of brood and two of stores to make your own Nuc

Also try thornes sale for cheeper bits , it started today

Thanks for the link
Poly hive look realy intresting and tottaly new to me but I had only heard mention of it years ago wiil have a good root around
Ta
Grub

Latest posts

Back