New nuc box advice please...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
I want to buy a new nuc. box ready for next season - do I:
a) Buy a wooden one
b) A M.B poly

Bearing in mind weight is an issue for me and that my budget is very tight? I assume the wooden would last longer, but I really fancy trying the poly. I also have quite a blustery garden, not sure why because we are surrounded by trees, but would this be an issue with poly?

Advice from users of both please, thank-you...:cheers2:

Nuc boxes are generally used in the summer months only so life is not too much of a concern. They can be made of scrap timber and plywood for just a few of your English Pounds.

For nucs and mini-nucs, a stock of house-bricks always comes in handy.

weight is an issue

MB Poly reduced for National frames would be my choice for you.

Consider if 14 x 12s are likely to figure in the near future....

blustery

Can always stand a brick on top. You would need a hive strap anyway with poly.

Regards, RAB

Don't by the combination poly nuc from Park Beekeeping. Although fabulous that, with inserts, it can be made to fit nearly all types of frame, the poly is low density and the bees have chewed chunks out of mine and it will not last much longer.

Consider if 14 x 12s are likely to figure in the near future....

Yes, I think so - the girls have packed the BB this year, and they were a 5 frame nuc in June - so I think 14 x 12s are highly likely - does that change the options?

Thanks Polyanwood, if I buy it would be a Modern Beekeeping one, for various reasons

The oldest polyboxes i have are labeled 1987. So 23 years and in very good condition.

I bought used polyboxes this summer. They are 20 years old and the price was 6 euros.

I am using a MB poly nuc (Jumbo) with 14x12's in it. Bear in mind, that a full Jumbo LS nuc (with Jumbo frames) is almost the same size as a BS brood box. So calling it a nuc can be a bit misleading.

I have hive strap on and it sits on a small plastic pallet.

The trees in your garden are the likely cause of the turbulence.

Wind blowing over the tops of trees, bushes etc, is drawn downwards and makes a swirl.

I never cease to be astonished at what is said about poly.

I am in the middle of an apiary move at the moment and for some reason bricks got missed. The next day the nucs were sitting all bonny with their lids on and the hives had their roofs off. It was a windy night. I brick the roofs as standard practice. The nucs glue their lids on very successfully as there are no crown boards, which the colonies have.

Hive strap the units all year? LOL Err not this beekeeper and never have. And no need. I put a brick on mine and use it as a message system.

I endorse Finmans comments on life span, ASSUMING, you buy quality poly it will have as good a life span as timber. With the plus that the bees do better in it.

If I was buying nuc boxes which I have this last two years, I would spend my hard earned cash on poly from Swienty. Which is what I have done. Some 27 so far, and not one timber one. Hint?

PH

Last edited:
Well I'm confused.
If you google swienty UK MB comes up as first 2.
The jumbo l/s nucs I bought recently from them are Finnish (I think).

Please note you have to file bits out of the frame runners if you want to use the splitting boards. Also have to file bits out of frame feeder to use.
Not a difficult task though.

I google Swienty and get this: (as normal) http://www.swienty.com/

I click the British flag and get: http://www.swienty.com/uk/home.asp

I select "beehives" from the left menu then Langstroth, and get:
http://www.swienty.com/shop/vare.asp?side=0&vareid=100035&catid=1091

I hope that helps your confusion.

I add this that I am prepared to pay over the odds for these units as they are (being totally honest) worth it. My money: my choice to support my bees in the best way possible. Pay less and see death. *shrug*

PH

????
My ones work fine out of the box from MB

When I bought mine only the full hive instructions were available (they now have dedicated ones for nucs) and I perhaps got this bit wrong.

On the other hand, the top of the feeder does sit proud of the wooden frame top bars so I just cut a bit out to make it level.

I really like the 9mm ply nuc box's i use....bee's seem to do very well in these.

I really like the 9mm ply nuc box's i use....bee's seem to do very well in these.

I am not anti-poly in any way but share Hivemakers views, partly I suspect because I only have 4 nucs and take pleasure in using something I have made and tuned the design to my needs. the wood working bit is part of the hobby - and the enjoyment for me. Not a turn on for some granted.

If its dry and windproof bees will live in it.

They live in a hollowed out log normally, and do rather well.

dry and windproof bees will live in it

My other half did his best to make me a nuc. box, but unfortunately it doesn't fit either of the above descriptors...nor is it raid proof, level or any other quality you can mention...

Latest posts

Back