New mini-nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repwoc

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
>6
I've just taken delivery of some Kieler mini-nucs from Rooftops. I've not used poly kit before so ..

In the helpful booklet provided by modern beekeeping it says to paint poly hives, including the feeders to seal them and make them easier to clean. Do I paint the mini nucs inside as well? Or just outside + feeder?

Why don't you ask the person who sold them to you?

He probably is in a roundabout kind of way :)

I`ve got some Kielers Repwoc.
I didn`t paint the feeder and fondant comes out easy in some warm water.
Getting the brace comb out is a different matter, lol.

Darren.

I just painted the outsides and up the circular channel under the floor, bit inside the entrance disc. Comb in the feeders is a drag.

And I'm still trying to source the compatible German supers for these (from somewhere I can understand the spiel in the catalogue)!

You might want to fashion a metal disc to stop wasps biting their way in from underneath the entrance.

And I'm still trying to source the compatible German supers for these (from somewhere I can understand the spiel in the catalogue)!

Rooftops has started stocking them.

Darren.

Why don't you ask the person who sold them to you?

Well,
1. They're shut at this time of night (I presume at least);
2. Rooftops frequents this forum anyway;
3. On here I will probably get several opinions and ideas; and
4. Others may be interested in the answers too.

OK?

You might want to fashion a metal disc to stop wasps biting their way in from underneath the entrance.

I'm not understanding that - the entrance leads to a vertical circular 'shaft' ~20mm diameter which is open at the top but closed off at the bottom by the hard plastic floor. Where do the vespas bite through?

I decided to just make up some top feeders for the kielers,quick and simple insulated eke.

I decided to just make up some top feeders for the kielers,quick and simple insulated eke.

They look really good Pete.

Once i have worked out how to get them through the summer i`ll start worrying about overwintering them :smilielol5:

Darren.

HM - it looks like you didn't paint the Kielers at all - or are they painted white?

Keep on having to weaken them at the moment Darren A good old friend of mine from Salisbury was down this way for a weeks holiday last week and showed me one of his kieler top sections.....so i looked at that..thought about it for one second...then decided to knock up something similar just to add fondant...or a small contact feeder to each one.

Repwoc....no not painted any of them.

Not so much of the OLD, old chap but you are right, checked the top section that has been on a hive for three weeks now and the bees are pulling the starter strips down above the brood nest to the point that they are attaching to the top bars of the lower section, if this continues it will be near impossible to get apart to maintain food supplies as the feeder that lives in the bottom section is to tall to go in the top section without leaving out top bars,thus defeating the objective of more space. I will take some pics next time I feed them.

As I have 3 I am going to persist with them but make a seperate top feeder to go in the end of the top box freeing up space below. Has anyone thought about varroa treatment for them, I am experimenting with small sections of thymolised oasis at present

Last edited:
Can't remember if its the kielers that come with a plastic inspection cover but how about a thin plastic sheet insert (not a QE) which covers just the lower bars but has suitable gaps for access between the bars.

Painting the outside is recommended. Painting the feeder is not really necessary assuming fondant is being used.

A sheet of plastic under the roof makes inspections easier. The stuff sold as a waterproof membrane for buildings is best but it needs to be cut accurately to fit over the raised part of the hive body as it is too stiff to fold at the corners. Alternatively, any thin poly bag will work but it will need replacing every now and again as the bees will chew it.

Agreed about the plastic sheet but the heavier clear poly bags work fine. Stops the top sticking, the almost inevitable feeder comb gluing to the roof and keeps the bees down when you take a quick look.

the bees are pulling the starter strips down above the brood nest to the point that they are attaching to the top bars of the lower section, if this continues it will be near impossible to get apart to maintain food supplies as the feeder that lives in the bottom section is to tall to go in the top section without leaving out top bars,thus defeating the objective of more space. I will take some pics next time I feed them.

This is isn't supposed to happen but who thinks the bees read the instructions? A sheet of plastic laid over the top bars of the lower hive body but cut small so there is a gap around the edge so the bees can climb up might work. I have seen this done with heather comb honey made from starter strips in a super.

Latest posts

Back