New Members

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
I've just recieved the year book for the norfolk beekeepers, and our treasurer informs us that nearly 50 new beeks signed up last year! how many new beeks did other associations pick up last year?

I am not apart of any organisation but the 2009 season I have lost two learner beeks and collected four more, the bee shed can get very cramped at times as it was only designed for two people at a time not five, out of the four that come to play one will never keep his bees alive ever especialy over a winter as he wants a hive with a honey tap on the side and no inspections, as for the rest one is very interested and shows unabounded enthusiasm and is for ever annoying me with his flipping researched web questions, the other two are on a good life trip and are great fun to know and work with

I've just recieved the year book for the norfolk beekeepers, and our treasurer informs us that nearly 50 new beeks signed up last year! how many new beeks did other associations pick up last year?

30 joined our beekeepers course in Nov 2008, 26 finished the course but only 23 of the new Beeks have so far renewed subscriptions for 2010

we found 30 too large a beekeeping course to find a nuc at reasonable prices so this year we decided at 20 for the Beekeeepers course...that's already crept up to 22

in 1999 we were at an all time low of members but since we started Beek courses in 2001 we have added about 150 long term members..most in their 30-40's

In my local association (Andover Hampshire) I think that there were about 20 or so new members last year. Not sure about the exact figures but three came from my home. Although I have yet to renew the membership this year it is only laziness and a difficulty in getting to Thursday night meetings that has held me back.

We still intend to keep bees and will grow to 2 colonies this year.

Sam.

34 new in Brighton & Lewes, so think we have 80 members now. Time will tell when hives get opened in Spring and losses noted. They may be discouraged...

it sounds fantastic that there is so much growth at the grass roots, as it were, now i did predict spring last year that this season will be the hype and top of the hugh fernly hip and trendy bee keeping flurry and this season things will start to level off so i will be interested to see what happens

We had 45 new members doing the beginners class this year (it was 20 last time) so it does seem to be the same in most associations.:cheers2:

Latest posts

Back