Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bron

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, I am from North Wales and hoping to start having bees one day. My grandfather kept bees and it's a hobby I have always wanted to explore. Recently joined my local BKA and bought some books. I know I have got a lot of learning to do! This forum looks a great place for gathering info. I am very happy to find you :D

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy.

I have just noticed how may hives you have all got. Is it usual to have so many? I was thinking about having 1 or 2 hives lol

I have just noticed how may hives you have all got. Is it usual to have so many? I was thinking about having 1 or 2 hives lol
That’s the danger with bees. You get More Bees disease
Two is a good number. Lots of people have just the two.

We always recommend two colonies (or more). Every colony behaves slightly/very differently so two hives = double the learning experience. Also, if you're unlucky to loose a colony then you've not lost the hobby for some weeks or months. Sometimes a weak colony benefits from a donation of brood from the stronger colony. QED!

thanks for your replies. So I will plan my layout to start with two hives. I hope my area will be big enough 🤞

From what I have been reading, each hive needs an area of 4m x 4m. Is this the case in practice?

From what I have been reading, each hive needs an area of 4m x 4m. Is this the case in practice?
no, you can space them a few inches apart if you really want to, as long as you have enough room to move around them for manipulations and inspection

1644416493256.png
Once you have bees you find them fascinating. So much to learn but so much fun too.

I make stands that can hold three hives a few inches apart but only have a pair on each stand, leaving the middle slot free to put the upturned roof and supers on when inspecting

stand1.jpgstand3.jpgty uchaf 1.jpg

No ... I have seven (and can manage 8 or 9) colonies in an area that is about 6m x 4m. They are in my garden as well. Starting with two is ideal but be prepared for the inevitable increase as time goes on - bees will swarm and either you accept the new colony that they make or you pre-empt the swarming and you make up -- guess what ? Another colony ... Most beekeepers start with one or two colonies but - it's hard to resist the temptation of more bees - the bees usually come free if you let them - you just have to spend money on the kit to keep them in. So, start with two but be prepared for four !

Latest posts

Back