Sugar Dusting. Yes or No?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you treat varroa mites with sugar dusting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 20528

New Bee
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am a Beekeeper in Ireland. I started in 2019 and was able to get my first colony on June 1st.
Furthermore, I am interested in any natural way to treat my hives for all pests and diseases and have been treatment free since I started. I am embarking on a little experiment to use icing sugar dusting to treat varroa mites hopefully making a report for Bee craft and the FIBKA magazines.

I am embarking on a little experiment to use icing sugar dusting to treat varroa mites
Top tip - save it for your Christmas cake.
Asking the varroa nicely to leave would probably be more effective than sugar dusting the colony.

Top tip - save it for your Christmas cake.
Asking the varroa nicely to leave would probably be more effective than sugar dusting the colony.
Problem is I already have a 25 Kg bag of it and thanks to one tip (from a book) I have mixed some of it with Garlic powder. I don't think I'd like that on my Christmas Cake!:)

thanks to one tip (from a book) I have mixed some of it with Garlic powder.
What sort of book was that? not Jamie Oliver obviously as it sounds like a recipe with a bit of flavour.
Don't tell me - Heston Bloomintal!!

No, Actually it was 'Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture' by Ross Conrad.
A great book if you were to give it a read.

Problem is I already have a 25 Kg bag of it and thanks to one tip (from a book) I have mixed some of it with Garlic powder. I don't think I'd like that on my Christmas Cake!:)

Garlic with icing sugar is such a natural combination I am surprised more beekeepers do not use it all the time...Full of natural goodness and grown and harvested organically by hand no doubt. :eek: :devilish:

Hello All,
I am a Beekeeper in Ireland. I started in 2019 and was able to get my first colony on June 1st.
Furthermore, I am interested in any natural way to treat my hives for all pests and diseases and have been treatment free since I started. I am embarking on a little experiment to use icing sugar dusting to treat varroa mites hopefully making a report for Bee craft and the FIBKA magazines.
Welcome.
This is a minefield.
I hope you don’t mind if I move your post to it’s own thread.
The reasons might become obvious sooner or later.

Welcome Ice. I have known plenty of people use icing sugar and loads swear by it. But for some reason this forum has a tendency to jump on people that don't do things their way. So expect nay sayers etc.
A good post to start with as you can just block that lot when they jump on you.

No, Actually it was 'Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture' by Ross Conrad.
A great book if you were to give it a read.
:welcome:
I have it:).
One of my first books i perchased
Interesting book chat on ;).
Have you tried any of his other recipes?

Last edited:
Welcome Ice. I have known plenty of people use icing sugar and loads swear by it. But for some reason this forum has a tendency to jump on people that don't do things their way. So expect nay sayers etc.
That’s a little uncharitable. The forum doesn’t jump on anybody. Some members might.
Garlic and honey does work though.

A good post to start with as you can just block that lot when they jump on you.

I am happy for all comments. Pro or Anti.

That’s a little uncharitable. The forum doesn’t jump on anybody. Some members might.
Garlic and honey does work though.

No, Garlic tasting honey would not be nice. You just have to make sure you don't dust the supers.

:welcome:
I have it:).
One of my first books I purchased
Interesting book chat on ;).
Have you tried any of his other recipes?

Yes, I would have to rank it in the top 2 books after 'Haynes manual'
If I remember correctly I tried to make Fondant, but it kinda didn't work.

I did the first dusting of the year today. Firstly I did a varroa shake test. H1 had a mite infestation of 3%
H2 had an infestation of 5%. I used a total of 5 cups of Icing sugar garlic. (ratio of 4 to 1) I will be dusting the 2 hives each week doing a mite count every couple of weeks to check the mite infestation levels as we proceed through the beekeeping year.

Hello All,
There’s a report of a little experiment here
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/pow...weet-and-safe-but-does-it-really-work-part-1/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back