New Long not so deep Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dani,

Many thanks,

we buy all of our raw cedar in log form and mill and season it ourselves at the workshop.
I don’t suppose you could make me a barn owl box? 😬
Our ply one is disintegrating and I keep having a go at Stan to make me one out of cedar but he says it can’t be done. I’d settle for simply having the bits cut 🤭

Our ply one is disintegrating and I keep having a go at Stan to make me one out of cedar but he says it can’t be done. I’d settle for simply having the bits cut 🤭
Yes we make those, we also make little owl boxes too. Is it for inside?

Hi guys,

It's a bit of an old thread and I'm always that last to get invited to the party......

I'm Matt from Hyde Hives if anyone has any questions about our long hives I'll be more than happy to answer them, thanks to the original poster @jenkins for the shout out

The long hive is top of my Christmas list Matt

A little bit of rebellion from Stan?
Perhaps the hive up the tree and one on the roof has pushed him too far❓❓❓❓

A little bit of rebellion from Stan?
Perhaps the hive up the tree and one on the roof has pushed him too far❓❓❓❓
No. He likes to keep busy and is already talking about another owl box in the apiary. It would be an ideal opportunity to refurbish the existing one for that purpose. He watches the box in the tree a lot. It was the cedar but he was arguing about

No. He likes to keep busy and is already talking about another owl box in the apiary. It would be an ideal opportunity to refurbish the existing one for that purpose. He watches the box in the tree a lot. It was the cedar but he was arguing about
I was only joking😀
My garden is surrounded by large trees that could support an owl box, but they’re all just in my neighbours land.
It must be great to have barn owls around, they are such graceful birds, despite the weird noises they make.

I was only joking😀
My garden is surrounded by large trees that could support an owl box, but they’re all just in my neighbours land.
It must be great to have barn owls around, they are such graceful birds, despite the weird noises they make.
Ask if you can put one up.
Bear in mind
As a general rule, Barn Owl boxes should not be erected within 1 km of any motorway, dual-carriageway or similar unscreened major road.

We had a Barn Owl in the Church in the village where I grew up, its flight path to go hunting was directly overhead and we heard it screeching and hissing most nights. Our garden is surrounded by mature trees, Oak, Ash and Birch and now we have a Tawny that shrieks and hoots.

Well that was precisely what I was thinking until one night a few weeks back when I heard the shriek begin. It became very rapid, hardly any pause and finished with a warbling wooo oooo ooooooo.
That's when I thought hang on but then it did it again and again. Definitely the same bird as you could hear the vocal change mid shriek and always after the shrieking becoming very rapid. First time I've heard anything like it.
A gang of Magpies drove it out of the trees the other day, it flew on to my neighbour's garage, winked at me and flew back into the trees. A very handsome specimen.

Ask if you can put one up.
Bear in mind
As a general rule, Barn Owl boxes should not be erected within 1 km of any motorway, dual-carriageway or similar unscreened major road.

Five years ago someone from the owl group of Suffolk Wild Life Trust visited my apiary and sold me a newly made barn owl box and advised me how high to put it in a large oak tree. No major roads nearby. Sadly I'm still waiting for a tenant.

I was only joking😀

This box has been in our garden for six years now and the owls never fail to use it. I took it down for repairs and cleaning last winter and was a bit late putting it back up in April....they were back in it the next day. It's great having them but the noise can be horrendous...like a box of vipers in the middle of the night. At least there's no argument about whether or not to feed and treat them....they always sort themselves out. ;)

BRA_6237.JPG

Back