New kid on the block!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I thought I would say hello to you all.

I've just bought a couple of these from Pete.

dscf0586n.jpg

dscf0585.jpg

All I need now is bees to put in them!

I'm looking forward to starting a colony but Im not sure what to do??!

I expect I will be asking for lots of help here.

For now, please will you recommend a good 'beginners guide to beekeeping'. Preferably one that is well illustrated.

Cliff

Cliff,
welcome to the forum!

Your best bet is to use the search function and spend some hours reading through past posts and threads - there's an unbelievable amount of really valuable info and opinions here.

I don't think books can keep up with a forum as active as this, but if you want something to read in the bath, Ted Hooper's book "Guide to Bees and Honey" has got lots of hard crunchy detail and facts which complement the experience-based info you'll find here very well.

FG

PS Lovely hives by the way!

Hi Cliff,
Nice hives !!
I recommend "Keeping Bees and Making Honey" to start with, easy to read, with loads of photos and also Ted Hoopers "guide to bees and honey".

Darren.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have joint the Cornish BKA and have some contacts to help me start up. I will be calling on local experienced bee keepers. The reading is mainly so that I dont ask dumb questions and look a fool!

I like the 'bath time read'! This is too true, its the only time I can lock myself away and have some peace and quiet!

Cliff

dont buy, library instead it is better, and dont forget to watch my greatest hits collection of videos aswell.

hedgerow

Pete's vdeos are mint , its a realy helpful forum I have asked loads of daft questions and my gramar and spelling :puke: so join the rest of us

Grub:cheers2:

Hi Cliff - Dont worry about asking questions- we have already asked them all somewhere. First apiary meeting I went to I had a paper with a list of questions! Better to ask than stand quietly and walk away wondering. So- ask away- and try and get a mentor from your Assoc to shadow you for your first year.
Enjoy your bees when you get them - warn you now- real time wasters as you watch them carrying pollen back to the hive...:cheers2:

Hi Cliff
Welcome, this forum has a good balance of members, experienced, intermediate, and beginner, oh and the Village Idiot, which i challenge for from time to time.

Its better to ask than make a mistake.

welcome, wow, such a shiny hive!!!! did you polish it?

Howdy Cliff, nice to meet you.

Go on Mark, give us a clue...

I have never purchased from them so it would be a little unfair,I am going on what buyers have said on the forum.

I do know they use reclaimed timber and paint it a pretty colour..

Hi all, Iam also new and this is the first forum I have ever joined so please be patient with me.I have just got an allotment and have been told I can keep bees,however a few eyebrows were raised. I am not planning on keeping bees till next year as my local association only holds courses once a year and I have missed it.
i was thinking about putting an empty hive on my plot so that the other holders could get used to it and also to show that any stings are not caused by my bees but just bees in general.
Wha t do you think,is this too devious? Phew long one for my first post

Hello New beee and welcome!

Wow, I'm no longer the new kid. Old timer now having got about 4 or 5 hours time in!

I have similar problems. My hives are going in a semi urban environment and haven't told the neighbours yet. I'll get round to it when the bees arrive.

I like your idea though. I could put the hive in full view of neighbour and pretend there are bees in it. I think it would give them time to 'climatise'.

Cliff

wow i have actually done it right!!! am impressed with myself. I have been wanting bees for years but think i have tested my neighbours patience with my chickens so really pleased i have now got a plot and can keep them there.There is so much information out there that my head is swimming, or maybe thats the chardonnay!!!!

My worry for you would be some tw@t kicking the hive over. I wouldn't trust the young kids around where I live.

I hope the allotment is secure and child free!

Cliff

Latest posts

Back