New Jacket

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I took delivery of one of these today :

With the lack of responses on previous posts regarding this design/type, i guess not many have purchased one, i plan to use it this weekend and will let you know how it gets on.

First impressions : extremely well made, i have only ever had 1 jacket prior to this which was micro fibre, very lightweight, but exessively hot and if i did get hit properly it offered no protection due to its lightweight material.

I have only put this on tonight once, its a bit like slipping into a space suit, quite heavy, the circular ventilation holes have good quality strong mesh inside and out, seperated with foam padding keeping stings away from skin, it is very well padded on the tops of the arms and around the shoulder, the mesh on the hood is again a very high quality and i do not expect this one to go brittle like my previous jacket hood mesh and start splitting.

The cotton is a generous thickness, offering much more protection than i have had before, but not too thick to restrict movement, and it fits me pretty well, and i am one awkward bugger to get clothes that fit my shoulders.

I do feel a bit of a wally in it, but thats purely down to it looking very different from the norm, and im sure i will get over it, its going to be worth it for the ventilation i hope.

Cheers
Andy

Jacket

Hi

Where did you get your jacket? Be interested to hear how you get on with it.

OOoo, very swish!

Let us know how it goes - might be tempted if it does the job & keeps you ventilated too!

beeproofsuits.com

Its nicely priced, in between the cheap and cheerful and the top end Sheriff.

Should be a good test with temps to be 25 + this weekend.

I do feel a bit of a wally in it, but thats purely down to it looking very different from the norm, and im sure i will get over it, its going to be worth it for the ventilation i hope.

Cheers
Andy

It could be a lot worse. Can you imagine going out in public to collect a swarm in this :http://tinyurl.com/38vad9u

Darren.

Grizzly, I really hope it is as good as it looks and will be interested in your comments, why? I really thought about it but was not a brave as you and purchased a Sherriff, the safe bet. I really liked the idea of the ventilation but was worried about scagging it because there is a lot of hawthorn around my hives, so I bottled out and went for something I could sew up!

Well apart from feeling a little like Mr Stay Puft the marshmallow man for a minute or two, i can honestly say, after todays inspection i am very pleased with the purchase.

It was 25+ possibly hotter when i went up to the bees at around 1pm, if i had had my previous jacket on i would have been very uncomfortable, but the holes allowed what little breeze there was to flow through and was very welcome, i have not had such comprehensive padding and protection before, whilst my bees were good as gold, i still felt more confident that nothing would get through.

The hood is lighter than my previous one, but hangs away from the face well, and the mesh is very strong and should last some time, after about five minutes i forgot about the bulkier than usual jacket, and worked the bees in relative comfort, plenty of room inside, and total freedom of movement.

So i am happy with my outlay, i have not used that supplier before, they did say that if i was not happy i could return, so at least you get to try it out first, oh and at the moment they are offering a free pair of trousers with it !!, cant be bad.

I hope my waffle has been of use to some.

Latest posts

Back