New honeybee research

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
BBC reported on a UK study that isolated the specific virus responsible for the decline in honey bee.

Search 'Honeybee decline linked to deadly virus'

Hopefully the first step in a cure :hurray:

After reading this report in Science I find it amusing that the researchers from Sheffield went to Hawaii as they needed to compare bees infected with varroa with varroa free colonies. They could have went to the varroa free areas of Scotland instead to do their research but if you had the choice of nice weather in Hawaii or the cold wet west coast of Scotland what would you choose

After reading this report in Science I find it amusing that the researchers from Sheffield went to Hawaii as they needed to compare bees infected with varroa with varroa free colonies. They could have went to the varroa free areas of Scotland instead to do their research but if you had the choice of nice weather in Hawaii or the cold wet west coast of Scotland what would you choose

lol, not stupid. scientists, are they! :party:

Fighting viruses won't help ...

Whatever they do about varroa or the virus, it won't work unless they ban the neonic pesticides.

If these pesticides continue to be used, contaminated colonies will succumb to any challenge that comes along, as their natural defense system is broken down by these neurotoxins, even if they are present in only very small quantitites.

Is the paper available on line and if so do you have the link?

Thanks for posting that, but unfortunately it's not really anything new. There are a whole host of nasty bee viruses - Deformed Wing Virus just being one - and the problem is the increased incidence of a lot of these viruses, which appears to be linked to varroa infestation (both as a vector and in generally weakening immune systems).

It's another very good reminder of why varroa control is so important though!

Thanks for posting that, but unfortunately it's not really anything new. There are a whole host of nasty bee viruses - Deformed Wing Virus just being one - and the problem is the increased incidence of a lot of these viruses, which appears to be linked to varroa infestation (both as a vector and in generally weakening immune systems).

It's another very good reminder of why varroa control is so important though!

well they are saying that varroa transmit a specific virulent strain of DWV rather than the prevoius strain that is less virulent and endemic

but the BBC has just picked up on the Sheffield uni press statement, http://www.shef.ac.uk/news/nr/honey-bee-virus-mites-1.184982 and not expanded it
#

i would also like to see the scientific papers

Ok, I probably should have swapped 'cure' for 'solution' in my original post; being very pedantic. :beatdeadhorse5: Just happy that they are advancing knowledge on the threat. Agree with Scuttlefish in just too keep practice good control to minimise the impact.

We're all doomed when the small hive beetle eventually makes its way over here, anyway... :)

The paper is published in Science magazine, search for "Global Honey Bee Viral Landscape Altered by a Parasitic Mite" (by Martin et al), only the abstract is freely available at present.

Just a thought, but how many of the beek on here who have lost colonies to varroa infestation have seen signs of DWV before collapse?

Having read the abstract these scientist studied the spread of varroa and the DFW virus as it spread into the Islands of Hawaii. Hence the research is from Hawaii. Unless you are suggesting the we deliberately start to spread varroa into areas of Scoltand that are at present free they could not have done an equivalent study there.

Sometimes it is best to read a little deeper and then comment.

Having read the abstract these scientist studied the spread of varroa and the DFW virus as it spread into the Islands of Hawaii. Hence the research is from Hawaii. Unless you are suggesting the we deliberately start to spread varroa into areas of Scoltand that are at present free they could not have done an equivalent study there.

Sometimes it is best to read a little deeper and then comment.

sometimes it's good to just accept the humour in a statement ;)

Latest posts

Back