New Hives, Frame & Foundation Suggestions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAHunter62

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
About to get my equipment ready to house my 2 packages of Russian Bees (coming in early April).

I've decided to go with all 8 Frame medium (Illinois) boxes. I'm struggling a bit trying to decide what frames and foundation to get. I don't have any comb to start with, everything will be new.

Looking for some good practical advice. I'll probably be going to Mann Lake, and have been looking at the PF-120 frames (wax coated plastic) and the wooden frames with Rite Cell foundation.

Will they accept the plastic foundation ok, or should I put a box with wax foundation for them to start with?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum PAHunter62,

You do realise this is a UK forum?

Looking for some good practical advice.

There won't be so much practical experience, of the particular products, from that particular supplier, on this forum! We do tend to shop in the UK, although some do order from abroad.

However plastic frames are used in the UK (small number, relatively) and I don't suppose the bees will mind what the frames might be made of and will have to build comb anyway. The store would not be offering those frames if they were not fit for purpose!

Your best line of action may be to enquire to the store before buying, to ascertain some more local experience for these frames in your particular application.

Regards, RAB

About to get my equipment ready to house my 2 packages of Russian Bees (coming in early April).

I've decided to go with all 8 Frame medium (Illinois) boxes. I'm struggling a bit trying to decide what frames and foundation to get. I don't have any comb to start with, everything will be new.

Looking for some good practical advice. I'll probably be going to Mann Lake, and have been looking at the PF-120 frames (wax coated plastic) and the wooden frames with Rite Cell foundation.

Will they accept the plastic foundation ok, or should I put a box with wax foundation for them to start with?
Thanks

Locally based advice is of course always the best, however I do have experience of the products you mention, and Mann Lake are a fine company to do business with. Employee owned, after the original owners retired with no children to leave it to they transfrred it ove to their staff. Nice.

Are you a beginner? If so I would not advise going down the plastic route at all. The bees are a bit more resistant to these than to traditional wood and wax. New packages, queenright and fed heavily enough ( do not be mean with the syrup) will draw out your new wax beautifully and rapidly. They may make a bit of a mess on plastic and you could end up doing a bit of scraping off. Some strains draw plastic with no issues, others struggle.

So, if this is your first time with bees I would stick to the traditional wood and wax throughout.

One other point. Is there enough pollen in your area at the time they are arriving? A local beekeeper should be able to tell you. if not then get a few pollen patties along with your order. Mann Lakes own ones are good and the bees take them rapidly.

Latest posts

Back