• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1958

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I recently purchased a hive from a company called BeesKneesHives
I am extremely impressed with the quality and the finish of my Hive,
The website was easy to use, and the man I spoke to over the phone extremely helpful.
I spent a long time pricing up various outlets and found this to be by far the cheapest.
The fact that the Hive came ready assembled was another Bonus. Saving me both time and bruised fingers. I am not a carpenter and the first Hive I ever put together was a near disaster. All I had to do with the Hive from Bees-Knees was take it out of the box and place the supplied foundation in the frames.
I purchased the Langstroth Hive, as this is my personal preference, and am planning on buying more of these as my Bees multiply.
The Hive is sold as 'complete', and an accurite description this is to. One floor, One Brood box complete with frames and wax foundation, Two supers complete with frames and wax foundation, one Queen excluder, and a Roof.
The sides are held in place by large screws (I don’t know how long these are and do not plan on removing any to find out. I shall be replacing the quilt with a Clearer Board out of personal preference. Though I doubt the Bees will notice this.
Definately a good purchase for someone on a budget, or a newbie just starting out.
:)

Is that the guy who wax/paraffin dips the timber like some usa hive suppliers ?

What timber are they ?

No its pine. (I think).
Or something similar - not being a capenter I dont really know.

They are made by Monks at Saint Michaels Abbey in Farnborough
I didnt get the waxed ones, maybe I should.

(The waxed ones are £40 more though)I guess the big test is whether the Bees like them.

Hot wax dipping is a process long popular in continental Europe, America, Australia and New Zeland and involves the weather-proofing of hives by boiling them in heated wax.

Hot Wax Impregnation protects bees against:

* Damp
* Fungi
* Disease penetration

The process:

* Preserves the natural colour of the timber
* seals all joints
* keeps hive in tip top condition for years!

Thats what the site says anyway

...of hives by boiling them in heated wax.

Dipping in boiling wax might be right but this crew, obviously, were not scholars at school.

Wood does not melt or boil - it destructively distills - or catces fire!

Might just catch someone's attention though, seeing boiling wood!

RAB

All sounds great but the cost of having a huge amount of boiling wax on the go ready to dip a whole brood box must be massive.

How much was the shipping costs?
Do you know if they do collection?

I'll have to save Christmas money!

I arranged to collect mine, so no 'Shipping costs'
You would need to contact them direct for shipping post costs

Thanks for the info, my sons working in Farnborough and goes to Guildford uni so might need a trip that way sometime.

Can you scortch wooden hive parts that have been dipped in wax? I'm thinking not but perhaps someone knows different. Is there a website link?

Just found the website. I wish I was on Langstroths....

Last edited:
They do sell Nationals as well.
A Complete & Assembled National Hive
(complete with frames and wax foundation)
costs from £144

But yes, the Langstroths are an excellant price.

Steve

Did you get hoffman brood frames and manley super frames in that deal?

I know it is some time since the last post but worth adding that this business seems to have closed now and thought if anyone belatedly found the thread it would save them wasting any time.

that farnborough hill place brings back many many happy memorys as a teenager picking up those posh catholic girls lol sweet memorys aaaggghhhhh

Latest posts

Back