New Hive times

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
what is the latest i could start with bee,s should i wait until next year.
don't quiet feel ready yet but worried if i leave it too late in the year to take the plunge it wont give the bee,s a chance to prepare for the winter.
when do people normally get hold of there NUC's?

thanks all

I know of a few Beekeepers who have purchased Nuc's in August without any problems.

Yes April/May is better but not everyone wants to wait until the following spring,and if they have been through the winter they will have a head start next year.

I started with my first hive in August 4 years ago.

Yes it gives you a short active season, but I would say the beekeeping year starts from approx September / October

if the bees are cheap ie a swarm then start at any time if you are paying proper money for them i would ask the supplier to have your name as the first delivery next year. it would be a great shame to spend £130 and lose it over the winter for some reason, unless you have them at home and realy watch over them. if you do go late in the season all you have to do is set the hive on top of a bathroom scale so you can keep an eye on its weight and just be ready to feed all winter if they need it you will not have any medical problems hopefully so its just keeping the girls fed

Your self control is to be commended beeboybee, i am hopeless like that and even if i did not feel ready would have bought one.

Get your name down now for next years early nucs, and if you suddenly feel ready to take on bees this year, go get em, as it would be sensible to run two hives anyway.

Your self control is to be commended beeboybee, i am hopeless like that and even if i did not feel ready would have bought one.

I agree with you there.

I was all patient and happy waiting for a swarm, right up untill the weather brightened up, you lot started talking about first inspections and then I found and ad for a nuc.

suddenly I couldn't wait anymore, I needed them NOW..:drool5:

Perhaps were related Taff, my biological father's family are from Somerset, probably explains why i am thick in the arm and thick in the ead.:biggrinjester:

(no comments required Admin/Jimbeekeeper)

Make or buy yourself some basic kit so that you are in a position to take advantage of the free bee supply that comes with swarming.

This year the bees have taken more than a few people by surprise, new beekeepers because they have not been sufficiently prepared and more experienced hands because the timing has been earlier than expected and upset the logistics of an already tight schedule.

Either way, there are going to be a few swarms of free bees out there for the taking. You have to be ready with some kit to win it!

Find yourself a mentor with lots of colonies that you can assist with your labours. You will learn a lot fairly quickly and will become confident enough to take an easy swarm to pop in your box. Make sure you join your local BKA for the contacts and support.

Cheekily, if you find yourself with a swarm to take and have made the necessary kit and contacts, ask an experienced beekeeper to assist YOU to catch YOUR swarm. I'm sure that a local beekeeper with the time available to assist you would. Your cheek might cost you a pint, but it's a small price to pay for a good swarm and establishing a firm beekeeping contact.

Go for it.

Perhaps were related Taff, my biological father's family are from Somerset, probably explains why i am thick in the arm and thick in the ead.:biggrinjester:

(no comments required Admin/Jimbeekeeper)

I think probably not, the clue is in the user name, TAFF. I think you are better off not being related to my family to be honest :laughing-smiley-004

Thick in the arm comes from spending far too much 'man time' in your shed :eek::D

thanks for all the good advice....i am almost finished building the hive,read a pile of books over the last year and joined my local club. i like the idea of catching a swarm feels very hunter gatherer! going to be in York this weekend for family stuff so might disappear for a couple of hours and pop along to the York bee auction on Saturday, hopefully pick up some bargains.

make sure you know the new prices of things before you start bidding, there's been a couple of stories of used kit selling for more than new at auctions

similar thoughts, i have made a wish list with new prices next to it in my pocket! i am using nationals so hopefully there will be some goodies.
thinking of getting a empty NUC box and trying that swarm attractor stuff and seeing if i get any bees interested in a new house.

Latest posts

Back