New here

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
over 20
Im not usually stuck for words but I have been procrastinating over how to introduce myself for twenty minutes.
I noticed the forum a while ago and thought I might be able to contribute something useful. It seems to be a very helpful resource for anyone who is unsure or wants to try something new, or just needs support and reassurance.
I have had up to a hundred hives at times and a catalogue of disasters that would make most people blush. It crosed my mind that i might be able to offer some help myself.
This year has been really testing for all of us and I imagine there will be more disillusioned beekeepers than usual. My bees have definately not been playing by the rules this year and have really kept me on my toes. This years honey crop is the worst I have known, and the feed bill the biggest ever.
Requeening was near impossible and the matings were often poor.
Perhaps I also want to cry into my beer in company, as I know I am not alone....

Tears in beers in poor honey years making it clear there'll be no fear of a repeat next year

Welcome to the forum, as a beginner, I welcome the advice you have to give. Knowing your year has also been difficult lets me know I'm not alone.

Welcome

I have had a steep learning curve since acquiring my bees last June - I did go on a course but think I may need to go on another to refresh and LEARN !! My bees survived the winter and I was looking forward to honey this year, but, as you mentioned its been a terrible year. I checked my bee's 2 weeks ago - lots of stores and bee's happy. I noticed some wasps so reduced the entrance. Also fed some sugar syrup. Last week, there were a lot more wasps and dead bees but bees were taking the syrup. Blocked up any holes I could find. Yesterday - all bee's dead - probably about 400 -500. Stores had been robbed but still some left. Lots of pollen. I will start again and learn from mistakes I have made. I find this forum invaluable and takes lots of info from it

Hi and welcome. Good.to have another Norfolk been on here.

Latest posts

Back