New from Leics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexstarneil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
My wife Jane has just started and I'm her helper :eek:
We live just south of Leicester and have one garden hive. Brood box is commercial 16x10 with national super. Just awaiting a package via an experienced friend. Wish us luck.

My wife Jane has just started and I'm her helper :eek:
We live just south of Leicester and have one garden hive. Brood box is commercial 16x10 with national super. Just awaiting a package via an experienced friend. Wish us luck.

Welcome. One thing you need to get moving on is getting some more kit. You haven't got enough.

Then, when you think you've got enough, you won't have, so get some more.

You should be thinking of a few supers per hive and though you haven't started yet, be looking at that next hive, as if you get through to next year, you're going to need it.

Welcome. One thing you need to get moving on is getting some more kit. You haven't got enough.

Then, when you think you've got enough, you won't have, so get some more.

You should be thinking of a few supers per hive and though you haven't started yet, be looking at that next hive, as if you get through to next year, you're going to need it.

Thanks, I'm on it

And when you have enough it gets full and you wonder about getting even more lol

Hello from lutterworth

she will have you building. Hope handy with saw and hammer.

Enjoy this great hobby

Colin

Hello and welcome from Hinckley.

Get involved with the LRBKA - a friendly and helpful bunch in my experience. I did the training course at Walton which must be fairly close to you.

Paul

Thanks for all the welcome messages and advice. 3lb package collected yesterday, over-nighted in the cage at room temp and a nice 'swarm' shape developed over the 24 hours since. We installed early evening after the weather cleared so the girls are in with their new queen safely caged and surrounded. It took 12 minutes from start to finish to shake, staple the queen cage wire and close up. Another 40 mins passed before the stragglers all marched up the ramp from the opened collapsible box and in. Only lost a few souls in the process. Feeding like mad on crown board syrup and Simon's Italian Candipolline. Fingers crossed.:thanks:

Two days after installation and they look settled. Lots of coming and going with pollen already. Next thing is to release her majesty.

Ha...I'm a 'she' and my 'he' can't build anything...Just get used to signing cheques or memorising your CC details (much less stressful and better for the marriage)...although you now know what to buy for birthday - Christmas - and any other day you need to grovel...(believe me - it works...mostly)...

Welcome, have fun, deep breathing...GO!!!

:welcome:

From Cosby - are you near me?

Hi Lesley, yes just a short Bee flight away at Whetstone.

The girls have been a little subdued today in the wind and showers but yesterday the landing board was like Heathrow. Lots coming & going with mainly yellow but some orange pollen. Top feeder syrup and 'candy' being worked on 24 hours a day. First look for eggs middle of this week.

First inspection to make sure her majesty is in residence .... she is. Huge amount of drawn comb and capped honey but not experienced enough yet to spot any eggs (9 days after queen release).

Your capped honey may be sealed brood. look beyond it's edge for grubs and possibly beyond that for eggs.

Inspected again today and I'm pleased to report that what we saw last week was indeed capped honey and what we have now is loads of capped and uncapped brood. Queen is laying like mad. Two supers ready to go but this deep 12 frame commercial brood box is capacious (16"x10").

Latest posts

Back