New forum section

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see Admin, innovative as always.

If anyone has time to spare, then through your local BKA an offer of free tuition for free labour for the season, preferably after having done a basic course, is a good idea for anyone wishing to learn who can regularly spare at least one day a week. Learning, exercise, fresh air, beekeeping conversations and a feeling of earning your way by displaying your commitment to learning while becoming a valued assistant to someone that is probably very grateful for the help.

Anyone out there wanting a working day's holiday each week during this season?
Anyone out there with lots of bees and spotted a likely apprentice among the latest course students?

You know it makes sense. Don't delay, do it today, pick up the phone and get out and play. :nature-smiley-016:

I'm unemployed at the moment and was thinking of doing the volunteer thing locally. Must be someone who has had enough of spinning the handle on their extractor by now.......

Baggyone, get on that phone and find out from your local BKA where your nearest beekeeper/farmer is and ask if he needs a hand. Arrange a meeting to discuss the arrangement and be prepared to arrive early and lift and lump a lot of boxes until late while getting your hands dirty. Supply your own beesuit, gloves and a desire to learn. It will keep you in exercise, fresh air, education and if you can only manage one day a week the contribution you can make should endear you to your mentor, reward his trust and show to any future employer that you have a bit of initiative and aren't afraid of re-training or thinking outside of the box.
I suppose my own inspiration came from reading books about the early days of the aviation industry when people with visions asked to be taken on for three months for free on the basis that they could gather experience while the employer could decide if the person was worth employing. I couldn't find myself a full sized aeroplane designer, and so decided that bees were part of the aviation industry as well - oops, my nose is growing again.

Good luck, go for it. The rewards will be indirect and intangible, but by the end of the season you will have learned an immense amount and be a known quantity to at least one person in the beekeeping community. Who knows, it might even give you a whole new perspective on life and work that will make you a much better prospect to a future employer.

I'm unemployed at the moment and was thinking of doing the volunteer thing locally. Must be someone who has had enough of spinning the handle on their extractor by now.......

Can you live away ? I am sure Mike will give you some work if you can.

The misses would probably not like that, which is a shame. I will send my bka sec an email and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back