New drones just emerging..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolbz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I went to do a final thorough inspection of my bees at the weekend while the weather was still good and came away a little concerned. I didn't spot the queen which has got me very paranoid as I could see no eggs either (not much room to lay until some more bees have emerged though). On the plus side there were some very young larvae and no sign of emergency queen cells.

What really had me puzzled though was that they have created a small patch of drone brood which was just starting to emerge. Is it unusual to have newly born drones at this time of year as I had the impression that it was?

So...am I worrying about nothing? or could there be something up?

Lots of drones here : noisily flying...

Same in mine yesterday!
Plenty of eggs, larvae and capped brood inc approx 60-80 Drone brood!
No queen cells that I could see.

No drone brood - and most being thrown out...must be shirtier girls in the South West...about right :)

My one carnolian beehive has a little patch about 3" by 2" of drone brood still last week and a few black drones still today going in and out but all my italains hives are nearly droneless but not inspected

possiblely a difference between different strains of bees

are the bees with drones Carnies or mongrels etc

Last edited:
All mine have been droneless for quite a while already.

Lots of eggs and worker brood here at the weekend, not seen any drone brood for two or three weeks now and the number of drones has decreased dramatically. Still getting four to six playcups though. I think I may have my work cut out next year to prevent swarming.

Tony

Latest posts

Back