New Comer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I'm interested in having a bee hive for two reasons firstly to do my bit for the bee population and the help with my son's hayfever.

I have a decent size garden, is that sufficient for a hive or do you need a larger area.

If a garden is suitable how do I get started.

Are there any societies in the Glasgow area I can meet to advise me. I feel you learn more by speaking topeople than reading books

Dougie

Any advice would be good even if it's don't bother.

Dougie

It's probably a little late to start off with not a lot knowledge and leap in at the deep end this year, but the timing would be perfect to join a local association and learn a bit, then go for a hive in the spring.
My suggestion would be to look at a top-bar hive, as from the sound of it, the conservation of bees is of a higher priority than just honey yield for you - they're really easy to build, and they can be made remarkably cheaply (free plans are available for download from the net)
I wish you well, not least with your son's hayfever - you've probably been offered all the "chemical cures" which tend not to work - in my experience, vast quantities of natural Vitamin C can be a great help!

Bros....how do you stimulate your bee's to collect honey in a TBH...some kind of research seems to think they need stimulating to go out and gather nectar, with space above them.:reddevil:

Last edited:
Stimulate bees? - wouldn't dream of it - leave 'em to it -if they want to produce honey in their own good time, that's great, if they choose not to, that's fine too - it's their prerogative, I have the feeling their millions of years of experience knocks mine into the proverbial cocked hat! :biggrinjester:

on the other hand, the BBKA as yet tends to dismiss "natural beekeeping" and top bar hives completely, so if you're taking the winter to learn about beekeeping "there are other ways" as the BBC puts it, and there are a growing number of people who have nothing to do with the gospel according to the BBKA, so be sure to explore all directions..........

Dougie. The British Bee Keeping Association has branches all over the place, there will be several in your part of the world. Look them up on the internet and make contact. Most local associations have training apiaries where you can get 'hands on' experience under the watchful eye of an experienced beekeeper. You also need to get a good book and devour it. 'Guide to Bees and Honey' by Ted Hooper is recognised as a good reference work, and I personally thought 'A practical manual of beekeeping' by David Cramp was good.As others have said, a bit risky starting at this time of year. Probably best to wait until spring. BUT you do need to start putting feelers out for bees now. They are very hard to come by at the moment due to the massive increase in interest. Again, your local association can help.

I started as a newbie this year with 2 TBHs: one built form new timber: the other from pallets. Total Cost £70..ish.

One 5 frame nuc chopped and placed in, one swarm just acquired.

Too late in season now to learn AND raise beees for winetr imo: take time to learn : and IF you want, build a hive - taking time...

Picture of one comb...

The BBKA has no remit in Scotland,it is not a "British" association in the technical sense but a pretentious name for the English Beekeeping Association,
and the gentleman appears to be from Scotland namely Glasgow.

He needs to contact Peter Stormberg 01505 613830 who is the Scottish Beekeeping Association West area rep.

He will be able to advise you on the local association nearest to you and who to contact.

PH

The BBKA has no remit in Scotland,it is not a "British" association in the technical sense but a pretentious name for the English Beekeeping Association,
PH
I thought better of you Pete?
The Jacobite revolution was years ago :rofl:

BBKA 1874
SBKA 1912
Not pretentious , historical

John Wilkinson

(The distilling of whisky in Wigan predates Scotch whisky ) :beatdeadhorse5:

Dougie. The British Bee Keeping Association has branches all over the place, .

EXCEPT Scotland

Sorry but he is in GLASGOW scotland and the miss named BRITISH BEE KEEPERS ASS does not cover Scotland, and they have there own Scottish Bee Health under the Scottish government agriculture unit covering Bees not FERA or DEFRA like England

Suggest he tries the http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/

gardens, can be ok but i would not recommned it as at least once in the life of a Beekeeper , bees will go OTT

And how large is large, give us rough dimenssion. my garde is 10m by40m and thats large for london but small for the countryside....and i DO NOT keep bees in my garden wheras my friend keeps two hive in a 5m by 7m yard garden

Top Bar or frames hive, up to you, but what do other in your area use, problslbler a mix of national and smith hives with mongrel black bees, wheras in london where ilive its larger size hives such as 14x12 or double brood and Italian /carnies bee mongrels

Last edited:
Aye mon that's reet !,
Incidentally my text is exactly how it is spoken in the Wigan dialect !:)

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back