New comb hanging under my feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjomorris

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I thought my hive was taking a lot of syrup and it was only when I investigated further today that I found that they have taken advantage of the space beneath the feeder (Ashforth type) to build new comb to store it.......is this normal? I was under the impression that they would simply not take any more when they had sufficient to fill the broodbox but they obviously have other plans! I have now removed the feeder and eke (although I used a spare super) and the hive is back to broodbox only in prep for the winter. I guess this is ok for them?

In my couple of years experience, bees will take advantage of any space when they have food readily available- syrup or otherwise, which nust have been the case with your bees. I don't use the ashforth type myself- only the round plastic and aluminium types which hold about 4 pints- a bit inconvenient as they need constant refilling.

One of my hives recently built some lovely 'wild comb' which I had to break up. It was full of honey so rather than take away their hard work, I cut it off andplaced it in a plastic tub which I placed on top of the crown board inside in an empty super. This allowed the bees to clean it out, which they did reasonably well and then I took it away.

Chris

Your feeder should be on top of the brood box,or even crown board with feed hole open,so there is no void for them to fill.

I'm going to give the weaker hive some fondant for the winter.
Single brood box.

so I put the crownboard (with hole open) on top of the B/B and then some fondant on top. Then insulation on top of this. (i.e. fill the super I'm using for this with insulation. Then roof.

Can anyone confirrn this is correct?

I thought my hive was taking a lot of syrup and it was only when I investigated further today that I found that they have taken advantage of the space beneath the feeder (Ashforth type) to build new comb to store it...

Mine have done the same - filling the space provided by a 2" eke which I had in place for the Apiguard treatment underneath the feeder. The space is now packed with honey-filled comb. Is the best course of action to leave it there for the winter and remove the (hopefully empty) comb in the spring, or to cut it all out now and feed it back to them from above the crown board?

The brood box is still full of bees and there's still quite a bit of activity as we still have himalayan balsam flowering nearby.

Many thanks

Cut it out and put above the crown board.:cheers2:

Back