new bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debzbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives

Collected my first hive of bees yesterday and am very exciting. Have go them in a polystyrene national. Just wondering if they are too close to the house though...about 100mtrs from front door. any opinions?

Depends on your best time for the 100mtr, no serious, my hive is only about 60 feet from back door, not had too much bother.Try to give the bees best line of flight away from house, neighbours etc. Some keepers I know would love to have that sort of distance.

A lot depends on flight path. 100 meters sounds plenty. I agree with the previous poster have then pointing away from areas of your garden and other gardens where people are. If this is not possible point the hive at a high obstruction such as a fence or hedge so that the bees fly up first and are well above head height when departing and arriving.

One observation I made this year was a lot of bees came into the house for several days before the bees swarmed. I think that they were scout bees looking for a new home. I will watch out for that as a potential sign of swarming in the future.

Hi Debz,

I'm new to this game and got my five frames last week, so I'm in much the same position as yourself.

100 metres sounds like luxury from my perspective; I have my hive in the backyard 50 feet from the back door, with no issues at all. I haven't had a bee in the house yet, they seem to fly up and out of the yard. Luckily they are of excellent temperament, I suppose proximity becomes an issue if they aren't.

Paul

it a Queen less period that can cause you problems as even my calm bee follow you when queen-less

so always have a 3 mile or at least another non populated site option to move them in an emergency

I picked mine up on Saturday. They are housed in a WBC in the front garden about 15 feet from the house. Close enough to watch from the house and no problems yet as they want to fly away to forage rather than into the house.

I have two colonies in my back garden close to the house. It is fine when they are happy and they just get on with things. If they did turn nasty I would shift them and I have somewhere where they could go. The big issue when they are close to the house is when you have to do a major manipulation and they don't like it. The distance you mention I would love to have them that far from my house.

Incidentally whilst they are 100 metres from your house are they too close to a neighbour's or a footpath or a road? That perhaps is more crucual.

Incidentally whilst they are 100 metres from your house are they too close to a neighbour's or a footpath or a road? That perhaps is more crucual.

:iagree:
better you find out about a temperament problem ahead of a potential complainant. FWIW I mostly park my car 400m from my apiary site, the little darlings have followed me the whole way on ocassion, merrily pinging of the veil as the did so. Re-queen you shout, all very well, requeening is reactive to poor temperament, by the time you discover that, the incidents have happened.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, feel a lot less worried now and have already checked with neighbours so now I'll sit back and watch where they go.

Back