New Beekeepers questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we split the question forum ?

• Yes I think its a good idea

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • No thanks I like the way things already are

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Not sure/dont care

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

grangebees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi Admin

Just a thought - might it be an idea to have a sub-forum where total novices, or those contemplating beekeeping could ask questions of newish beekeepers without engaging the ire of those who have answered all those questions before. I am sure with a bit of input here and there from Admin it could be quite interesting for the real newcomers, of whom there will be many this year.

The more expert could just ignore this section if they felt the inane questions and lack of expertise of the newcomers was going to annoy them
All the best Susan

I think Susan that the basics or most of them have already been covered.

However like all forums the least used function is the SEARCH.

The problem with stickies is they eventually, and we are heading that way Admin, is they become unwieldly.

I am happy to answer questions but but, please like on all forums have a look first to see if your burning issue has already been answered. Like using a Test Frame for example. Every beekeeper should know how to use one.

PH

PLEASE dont start that bloody search nonsense like they did on the bbka site.

I dont mind answering those sorts of questions, i am newish, have much to learn admittedly, but i will happily answer the basics for anyone who asks.

There are enough on here at the same stage as me to cover the absolute beginner, then those with the experience of PH and Hivemaker among others, can concentrate on what they choose to comment on.

Last edited:
PLEASE dont start that bloody search nonsense like they did on the bbka site.

I completey agree!

And the same use of the phrase "just Google it"!

We are humans not robots, yers the same question like "how do I light my smoker" has been and will be asked a million times, but somone will answer it.

What use is knowlege if it cant be passed on.

Cant remember where that came from but its true. I am more than happy to answer any questions i can. The people who feel that the questions have been asked too many times dont have to reply.

What is wrong folks with taking a minute to look first before diving in?

There is an attitude now that all I have to do is ask. Those who answer might take the questioner slightly more seriously if they say I have looked, I have read but I don't get this bit or that bit.

It really is fair comment.

PH

Well there are two ways of looking at this one as far as i can see.

1. People can learn via the traditional route, which is what i believe i have done. ie Read a book first, join an association, get help, then look for further sources of information. ( I am looking forward to my second year as a beek)

This i suspect is the ideal way to go about things. But and its a big but, it would appear that this year virtually every beginners course is gonna be over subscribed, bees will be in short supply. So i can see that there will be a lot of potential beekeepers missing out on the Association guidance and practical help.

As a forum we the members can choose do we help and answer the questions that will undoubtably arise or do we leave these people to fail through lack of knowledge, i also have a feeling that the potential shortage of bees will result in nucs being made up later than usual with therefore more weaker colonies going into next winter.

I agree with polyhive that people should do a little research where possible but as the sayings go bees dont read the books and often what sounds relativly simple when described by our freind Mr Hooper can look and feel a lot different when doing it for real.

David

A few members have mentioned that it may be a good idea to split the questions forum into 2 seperate forums.
One for new beekeepers (The basic beginers questions) and another for more advanced/second year plus beekeepers ?

What are your thoughts ?

EDIT: (I have now started a poll for this)

One potential solutiuon to the 'already answered question' is one sticky full of links to the relevant questions.

take a quick peep at this thread http://www.visordown.com

it's in the workshop section of a motorcycle forum and has a massive amount of information linked to it.

it does take a little bit of work to keep it tidy but is worth it in the long run, I'd be willing to help to do that

i personaly dont mind being or asking questions. I was looking through some of the saved threads and may i suggest that perhaps and i am sure someone will shout at me for it, why is it not possible to have at the very front a summery of the thread and its resulant ending ?

i have had to spend hours scrolling down hundreds of meesages reading all about this and that to find out at the end all i had to do was kick the bl***dy thing twice !!!

and as for new bees question send the lot to me, when the world stops asking questions its time to stop living, as for my most stupid question, or at least one of them "why do the bees keep going back to the same flowers" not realisthat the flowers produce nector and pollen over several days and not just once there for the bees collect over several days rather than just one visit

Hi Hedgerow Pete

I didnt know that flowers produce nector and pollen over several days, so that is at least one person who is a little more knowledgeable now thanks to you.

All the best Susan

I might take this approach with my business. When asked by a potential new client about the services that I offer, I shall tell them to go and see if they can find the answer themselves first as it will be written down for them to find.

Alternatively I can take the approach that I do already which is that I have the knowledge that they require and that is why they approached me. If I can't be bothered to answer their questions then I have the choice not to answer the phone.

As newcomers to beekeeping a lot of us seek the advice of those more knowledgable and seek the reassurance of a multitude of current opinions. I would respectfully suggest that if you do not wish to help us out that you exercise your right not to respond rather than farm us off to some other section. It's this approach that will lead to people losing the necessary skills to look after bees properly.

It is quite evident to me already watching from the sidelines that the majority of regular contributors here are willing to help and it is the select few that feel above that sort of thing. May I respectfully suggest that it is they who should be farmed off to a new section where they can spend their days telling each other how wonderful they all are.

As a newcomer, I like things as they are so have voted accordingly.

Just a thought - might it be an idea to have a sub-forum where total novices, or those contemplating beekeeping could ask questions of newish beekeepers without engaging the ire of those who have answered all those questions before.
I'd say no. Primarily because - as a newish beekeeper myself - I'd like everyone to have the opportunity of answering my (possibly daft) questions. I'd like opinions and advice from everyone, whether they're beekeepers of 50 years standing or 5 months.

Of course, I have responsibilities too. If it's a straightforward question I will (and do) try the search function first. But books and previously asked questions often don't exactly cover what I need to know. Life with bees doesn't appear to follow the textbook very often. Or not when you're learning. :)

My additional and possibly more important responsibility is to take notice of what I'm told, not go my own way regardless. Admittedly it's sometimes difficult to decide which route to take because there are conflicting opinions presented, but usually within those varying opinions there'll be something that seems most appropriate to my situation and will guide me. Or so I've found here over the past few months.

And my last responsibility is to remember to thank those who've taken the time to put fingers to keyboard and answer my questions. :cheers2:

Last edited:
Well there are two ways of looking at this one as far as i can see.

1. People can learn via the traditional route, which is what i believe i have done. ie Read a book first, join an association, get help, then look for further sources of information. ( I am looking forward to my second year as a beek)

This i suspect is the ideal way to go about things. But and its a big but, it would appear that this year virtually every beginners course is gonna be over subscribed, bees will be in short supply. So i can see that there will be a lot of potential beekeepers missing out on the Association guidance and practical help.

As a forum we the members can choose do we help and answer the questions that will undoubtably arise or do we leave these people to fail through lack of knowledge, i also have a feeling that the potential shortage of bees will result in nucs being made up later than usual with therefore more weaker colonies going into next winter.

I agree with polyhive that people should do a little research where possible but as the sayings go bees dont read the books and often what sounds relativly simple when described by our freind Mr Hooper can look and feel a lot different when doing it for real.

David

I thinks Davids Post covers a lot of good points, but just need expanding on.

1 The search facility is only as good as
A -the key word(s) you search by and
B - The orginal post word(s), a comon example of a post being "Help urgent help needed". It might turn out to be a good post but the tile is pointless. BUT This is a forum not a demating club!

2 Many people (I for one) see this as my Local Beekeeping association. Due to "modern life" it is simpler to belong this association, more informed people and more of an active group.

3 You try getting on a begginers course now, most where booked up and way over subscribed last year.

4 It is after all an internet forum

I found learning about bees harder than I thought it would be. I stuggled to understand WHY books and beeks gave different advice. I thought there was one true way and was put out when as a beginner it seemed people whom I hoped would help me were cross because I had done something stupid (in their eyes) again.

I don't mind if we split questions or not, but if we don't, I would like us to ensure that we give all beginners candid, but not over critical feedback.:grouphug:

The advantage of a beginners section is that people using it /going to it will either be beginners themselves, or be prepared to be patient!
I can understand why people would get frustrated with what to them seem like the same questions, particularly when lots of irrelevant detail is given and some vital bit of information is missing. But such is the nature of starting something new. Also, there is nothing as reassuring as getting advice tailored to your own circumstances (or your bees circumstances!).
The other prob is that most books - well, all the ones I've read - concentrate on general things. And seldom give much of a range of opinions. So, when you need advice or reassurance on a very specific situation then....
The prob I see with a beginners section is that you may well only get advice from fellow-beginners, which might not be that valid.

This forum and members therein have been a very valuable tool for me, i started last May/Jun with bees so missed the "Spring" build up, i only had nucs which are a good and comfortable way to start as you grow with them.

So far this spring i have almost thrown in the towel as the bees have expanded so rapidly and in such numbers i admittedly have been very intimidated at times by the sheer number of bees in my double brood, nothing like last year at all, and i could not have prepared for it as everyones bees and environments are different, then with that rapid expansion i have needed to requeen and do a couple of splits, of course this all happens at once, and i have had more stings in the last 5 days than i got for the whole 6 months of last year.

I have avoided asking questions on occaision here, moreso recently because i am fed up with some of the negativity, another reason why i am so keen to offer what advice i can to others, so i am all for keeping as it is and i will always respond if i can.

And thanks Admin for the support.

So far this spring i have almost thrown in the towel as the bees have expanded so rapidly and in such numbers i admittedly have been very intimidated at times by the sheer number of bees in my double brood,.

I've seen your photo Grizzly and if you're intimidated then I may have to wear rubber pants when I get mine ;)

Latest posts

Back