New Beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Steve

Beek @ New Farm Honey, Stourbridge, West Midlands
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I've just started to get set up with my first hive and discovered this forum so thought it might be a good idea to join.

I've always been fascinated by honey bees and ever since watching them while at school wondered if it was feasible to keep them. At 58 I've finally taken the plunge. I live in the West Midlands region of England in a n average 3 bed semi on an unremarkable estate so I always thought that I wasn't rural enough to get involved though through the wonders of the interweb I can see that it is indeed practical to keep bees. Hopefully this journey will be fulfilling and successful. Regards Steve

Welcome! I’m a beginner too, lots of info here. I also read The Apiarist blog, available on the internet.

Welcome. Keeping bees on an estate is not easy. You will find help on this site as I am sure you will need it. Feel free to click on my blog on this site..... It may open your eyes to a few problems!
E

Keeping bees on an estate is not easy.
E

:iagree:
Steve, one of the first things you need to do before you install bees in your suburban garden is to find somewhere you can move them at a moments notice. You may never need it but if you do you will need it yesterday.
Oh and welcome :D

Steve, one of the first things you need to do before you install bees in your suburban garden is to find somewhere you can move them at a moments notice. You may never need it but if you do you will need it yesterday.

I'd have said that that goes for any site.
Had to move mine at a moments notice from a quiet, rural site when lockdown came and I was refused access!

I keep a hive right in the middle of an estate full of ex local authority houses. Most of my neighbours don't even know I have bees because they are surrounded on 3 sides by sheds and hedges. I have had no problems at all in the last 5 years.
BUT ....... I have many out apiaries I could take unruly bees to at a moments notice if they became nasty AND I have the advantage of using my calmest bees from my many hives to keep in my garden.

Good luck but as many say here, have a plan B for those emergencies.

Hi, I've just started to get set up with my first hive and discovered this forum so thought it might be a good idea to join.

I've always been fascinated by honey bees and ever since watching them while at school wondered if it was feasible to keep them. At 58 I've finally taken the plunge. I live in the West Midlands region of England in a n average 3 bed semi on an unremarkable estate so I always thought that I wasn't rural enough to get involved though through the wonders of the interweb I can see that it is indeed practical to keep bees. Hopefully this journey will be fulfilling and successful. Regards Steve

Welcome to the forum.
I know a bee keeper who lives in the middle of a large estate and has had no problems. I can imagine how it could cause issues though.

Thanks for the advice. I do have options to move the bees to quickly. Hope I never have to but can't hurt to have a plan.

My garden is quite sheltered with plants and buildings and I have no plans to announce to the wider world that I have a new hobby. I don't have any neighbor's from hell to worry about so I I don't have to worry about people purposely causing problems but I do realise that over time people come and go. I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

Latest posts

Back