New beekeeper - what to read

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich_reading

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
currently one
Evening everyone,

I have recently picked up my first swarm, so now have bee's at the bottom of my garden :). What I would like some advice on is what are the best books etc to read to pick up information.

I recently completed a course given by my local group but I’ve always found it best to read around a subject to get the best understanding.

All suggestions will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Richard

Hooper is a favourite standby , the later editions cover varroa ;)

John Wilkinson

I'd also say Hoopers, but also this forum is a wonderful source of information and experience. Good luck with the bees, you're just round the corner from me and mine are going great guns on all the local goodies, hope yours do too.

Ted Hoopers'guide to bees and honey' is prob the best all-round 'must read/own' beekeeping book

this forum is prob the best all-round 'must read' forum

Cheers for the details, i have already picked up quite alot of information from this website . So thanks everyone :)

LOL this is just the start..... enjoy your bees and good luck with them.

PH

Hi RR

if you search the word "books" you will find that most of the replies have already been made!

Now that I've killed the OP it might be prudent to add my personal preferences.

I have Ted Hooper and can say I have opened it 6 times in 10 years. Difficult to read. Also Clive De Bruyns (almost got the spelling ?) book is a far easier "read" as opposed to an excellent reference which it is good for too!

My favorite starter book is the Jeremy Evans "complete guide ..." which it is not but it is a really great read. One of those pick it up and don't put it down "Janet and John" type reads and super if you want to learn with kids (they can then tell you what to do). Don't go with the silly prices on Amaxon, the real price new is about £15.

Remember the print date of these books and remember they do not reflect the current attitude toward current practises particularly in respect of bee health and treatment methods.

Regards

FB

ps slightly annoyed at this time as I have appeared to have done my usual trick of lending my copy of JE and not remembered who to!!!!!

cheers for the information, it looks like i will be going through the web shortly looking for the best deals. :)

I was advised by a friend to get the Beekeping for Dummies book, which i managed to download online for free.

It's been useful and has good reference points but it is American so does have some points that are irrelevant, such as the diary which relates to US climate in different states.

Worth getting if you do get to download it as i did and there are lots of second hand copies about. You can also download it on itunes for £10 which can be put on your ipod or iphone which may be useful if you are at the hive and need a question answered.

I would still like another UK reference book though, so it's not the complete solution.

Please ignore the Dummies book as it is truly dreadful.

There are umpteen good UK ones and if one is a bit stuck with Hooper, and I must say that is the first adverse comment I have come across on Hooper, there are others.

Try David Cramp "A practical manual of beekeeping."

PH

Please ignore the Dummies book as it is truly dreadful.

There are umpteen good UK ones and if one is a bit stuck with Hooper, and I must say that is the first adverse comment I have come across on Hooper, there are others.

Try David Cramp "A practical manual of beekeeping."

PH

I love Hooper - unfortunately bought the Dummies as well - Hooper is way better!

This time 4 years you will have 10 hives maybe more LOL.

Busy Bee

Personally 'Practical Beekeeping' Clive De Bruyn along with Hooper is a winning double act.

Definately Hooper, but Bees at the Bottom of my Garden is simpler, easier to read and covers everything a beginner needs to know. Then refer to Hooper to get another view...

Dave

Well I recieved my order this morning :) so thank you all for the suggestions over the last week or so. I will spend the next couple of months reading these and trying to understand as much as i can.

by the way i decided on:

"Bees at the Bottom of the Garden"
Alan Campion;

Guide to Bees & Honey: The World's Best Selling Guide to Beekeeping"
Ted Hooper;

A Practical Manual of Beekeeping: How to Keep Bees and Develop Your Full Potential as an Apiarist"
David Cramp

All for a total of £21 which i thought was a good deal from Amazon. This is where i find out that I paid over the odds...

Has anyone read 'Keeping healthy honey bees' by David Aston and Sally Bucknall. ISBN 978 1 904846 543. It covers all the basics but also more detail on honey bee nutrition, diseases and general bee health management. I found it very interesting and a good one to have.

Latest posts

Back