New beekeeper question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooklyn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Hello I am thinking of beekeeping as a hobby. I live in a small neighborhood with 1/2 acre lots. About 500 yards from my house there is a very large pond. Surrounding the area is all kinds of farming and peach orchards all with in 4 miles or less.

I would like to start off small in my back yard
We try to do all organic gardening. We have two plum trees a raised bed for vegetables and all kinds of flowers, roses etc...
The back end of the property we have kept it kind of natural with flowers and trees we have planted with the natural flora.

We have a pool that uses very little chemicals, we use salt to chlorinate it and an originator to help it stay clean. We use less salt then in my tap water.

We have two boxers that enjoy the back area of the yard. would there be any harm to start a bee hive will the bees and dogs co exists? Should I look for some other place to put the bees? I live in South Carolina USA.

Thanks for the help
Brooklyn

I have a parson Russell terrier who I am sure was born without a brain. It took him 3 stings from electric netting surrounding our hens to realise that he shouldn't go near. However he got stung once from the bees and now gives them a very wide birth! I would put a fence around the hives to keep the dogs out, I would hate anything untoward to happen to them.

I have a parson Russell terrier who I am sure was born without a brain. It took him 3 stings from electric netting surrounding our hens to realise that he shouldn't go near. However he got stung once from the bees and now gives them a very wide birth! I would put a fence around the hives to keep the dogs out, I would hate anything untoward to happen to them.

I would be more cautious and look to site the hives as far away from dogs as possible. a single sting could kill a dog, and I would hate to hear that this has happened. I am sure that if there is farmland and orchards near, it should not be difficult to find an alternative location.

Last edited:
My dog was fascinated the first time I opened a hive and stayed close, watching my every move. She was stung on her nose which made her lose interest and she now makes a sharp exit whenever I open the hive. I fenced off the apiary area to keep her away from the hives, but it wasnt necessary as when the hives are closed she just ignores them completely. May be different for different dogs, but a few books I have read say that dogs tend not to be a problem.

yep, my Labrador was stung once after sniffing a bee, avoids any buzzing insect, come to us, asking for us to get rid of it

my bees are in a small english garden 100ft by 30ft, surronder by a 6ft high fence and bamboo plant ..the fence/bamboo makes the bees rise up and avoids contact with neighbours

if you are worried about your dogs, make a small area for your bees and exclude your dog by a light fence or screen 6ft high . the bees will rise up an fly above head height

geoffyre

My dog stays in the drive leading to my apiary , she lies there until I return :).
Normally she stays within a couple of feet of me , she hasn't been stung but when the bees are active she picks up on the noise long before I hear it and won't go near .
Late evening after flying has ceased she will enter the area no probs :cheers2:.

John Wilkinson

Animals seem to learn fairly quickly then: we have a cat that thought she could saunter casually past the front entrance of the hive when the bees were very active. One of them clearly 'buzzed' her quite aggressively (don't think it was actually a sting) and she legged it at speed. She now keeps a safe distance away from the hive when it's making a noise.

You may have to check the local laws as I know they can differ from area to area in the USA.:cheers2:

My spaniel is the same, she has not been stung, but keeps away, she followed me up the garden once, as soon as the hive buzzed, she moved away, animals know. (and she is a nutter)

After all even the biggest of land mammals is petrified of the honey bee, they use bee hives suspended from wires to protect crops from Elephants in Kenya.

Not without good reason either, Just imagine being an elephant with a honey bee up your hooter (UK meaning - nose!). Would you really feel confident about being able to trumpet it out before your eyes had been given reason to water profusely?

A little bit vulnerable.to say the least.

I hadn't given a thought about by-laws Veg, easily overlooked and potentially troublesome if missed.

Lots of states in the US have different laws.:cheers2:

Lots of states in the US have different laws.:cheers2:
g

Good old blighty ( uk knickname for those who don't known propa inglish)

No national rules, licenses and very few Local Council byelaws on bee Keeping

just the odd nutter that hates Bees....before i put my hive on an allotement this summer i was asked to put a dummy hive up, so people could see where it was going to be....two people complained my bees had stung then....err, no bees in the hive...one came with a match box of Bees...carnies, italians ,hover fly...mine anyway are Black mongrels...i put on my veil and made a big play of opening up a totaly empty hive..:)

but i think he vandalised the hive last weekend, so could have backfired on me..so now they are in the back yard for winter, I put 2 supers and a plastic sheet for a roof on the old site to collect the straggelers, but to cold overnight lost about 100 bees

15c here today , windy but guards out and a few pollen collectors, just put fondant in to save stores..this autum is too long

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back