New bee keeper - best place to buy a hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From recent experience...

I recently bought a National Hive from Hivemaker who regularly uses this forum.

Before buying I spent hours researching and I was glad I did. He was extremely helpful and always happy to advise me.
Eventually I took the plunge and bought a hive from him. The hive arrived on time, assembled and it is the dogs whatsits.

After I bought the hive I have contacted Pete and taken him up on his offer to "Call anytime." It wasn't a sales ploy, he is still happy to help after you have paid him!

There are few genuine people about, he is one of those few. If you want quality I can highly recommend a National hive from Pete, who uses the name "hivemaker" on this forum.

P.S. I dont get commission and we are not related, I just beleive good service should be recognised!

Last edited:
Well a big thanks for all the replies, made for very interesting reading.

I wont be rushing into a purchase, I believe that there could be mentors for us at the end of the course, and that would be great, because I would not atempt to go it alone!

thanks everyone :hurray:

Hello to all

So, Im new to the bee keeping world, and I mean new! I am starting a course this week, to learn the basics, and I am looking to get a hive asap so to make the most of the spring pollen.
I have looked round the net, but not sure if an ebay second hand have is a good idea, or a flat pack one thats new. Im a pretty practical guy, so building one shouldnt be a problem, and I am not fussed at all by a second hand unit. Cost is an issue to start with, as there will be a lot of kit to buy.

What do you guys/gals think? and where to buy from, who are the best people?

Thanks in advance, Alex.
Hi Alex. I went to look at some hives at St Michaels Abbey in Farnborough, Hampshire. They seem to be well made and a really good price. They can also supply bees if you need them. They have Langstroth and National hives which from memory start at £119. They have a website - www.beeskneeshives.co.uk. Hope this is of help.
Regards
Juliet

I was rather disappointed with th....s packing and have read similar from elsewhere. They had some eco friendly looking packaging - but in the middle rather than between the outer parts and the box! I had several bits of small damage which I thought at the time I'd be picky to complain about but now wish I had because those little niggles (eg the broken lugs on a dummy board) seem more annoying as time goes on. The other messages mentioned similar poor packing but did say they were good at replacing things without a quibble. So if you do have damaged things obviously speak up straight away. In a project with the NT we ordered from them and the feeder (I think in a beginners pack) was so flimsy that it was broken and a leaky feeder isn't much good. To be honest, even if it is replaced, I cannot see a feeder like that lasting long. It might be less of a problem with beginners packs because they probably have so many similar they have got the packaging down to a T and there is less movement of items within the box during transit. My order was bits and pieces to my specification so they did not fit magically together firmly. Another thought I had about the beginners pack was the protective clothing - I wanted an all in one and was very pleased with the company whose slogan is 'easing the sting of' so having a jacket only seemed a waste.
It is so hard to make the decision at the beginning. Does Stoneleigh have any good bargains? I hope to make my first visit this year. I notice on eB-- that last year the price of hives went up and up - I think it was a supply and demand issue - a lot of people taking up the hobby and no extra supply. there is a danger that some people think here is an item on which I can make money and they may not be so much beekeepers as traders. One of my local associations had 85 wanting their beginners course this year so demand might outstrip supply again this year.
Tricia

Juliet - what were the Bees Knees hives made from? It doesn't say on their website and I have had no reply to emailed and phoned questions. My dad looked at the picture and said his best guess was Columbian pine or deal from the grain. He thought probably not Cedar. Another member said they were good quality but he was not sure about the wood - lighter than ply or pine, I think he said.
tricia

Latest posts

Back