New bee keeper - best place to buy a hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexander

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello to all

So, Im new to the bee keeping world, and I mean new! I am starting a course this week, to learn the basics, and I am looking to get a hive asap so to make the most of the spring pollen.
I have looked round the net, but not sure if an ebay second hand have is a good idea, or a flat pack one thats new. Im a pretty practical guy, so building one shouldnt be a problem, and I am not fussed at all by a second hand unit. Cost is an issue to start with, as there will be a lot of kit to buy.

What do you guys/gals think? and where to buy from, who are the best people?

Thanks in advance, Alex.

I would personally buy new flat pack. 2nd hand you have to faff with sterilising it to ensure no disease. Start clean.
And all best wishes- have you got a mentor lined up.... best way.

Have you decided on which type of hive you want?
Have you had a chance to handle bees in different hives to find which suits you best?
Do you know the most favoured type in your area?

All may be answered on your course. I waited until after theory course and handling tutors bees. He runs commercial hives, but I found the short lugs too fiddly so I went for Nationals - easy to obtain bees on National frames.

Got one colony from tutor and given two swarms ( cast or small swarms). Did not get first lot until June. All built up into good size, and got a small honey crop, and all have survived winter - so far!

I would suggest you take your time before rushing in and possibly repenting at leisure.
I used Th****s flat pack budget hives and found them to be a bargain.

Have fun and welcome

See thread 'A supplier of quality wooden hives'

Hive Maker on this forum - his cedar Nationals are second to none and he's also really helpful and supportive, especially to us new beekeepers. Try sending him a pm.
PS and they come assembled so no struggling with a flat-pack.

Last edited:
I'd buy flat pack new as well.
a) gives you something to do while waiting for the bees to arrive
b) you'll start with a single colony probably so you simply can't afford the disease risk from second hand gear
c) if you've built it you understand the hive better and can mod / repair with more confidence.

I'd buy flat pack new as well.
a) gives you something to do while waiting for the bees to arrive
b) you'll start with a single colony probably so you simply can't afford the disease risk from second hand gear
c) if you've built it you understand the hive better and can mod / repair with more confidence.

And you'll know how to take it apart because you didn't follow the instructions on how to assemble it.;)

Hive Maker on this forum - his cedar Nationals are second to none and he's also really helpful and supportive, especially to us new beekeepers. Try sending him a pm.
PS and they come assembled so no struggling with a flat-pack.

:iagree::iagree: Hivemaker makes excellent hives. I have been to see them.

You could also go with modern ideas and buy a polystyrene one from Rooftops, light, flatpack .....

Why not buy one of each, two is a good idea anyway as should you be unfortunate enough to lose one .....

Last edited:
I'd say it's much better to focus on getting a support network (maybe your local association?) or Mentor.

Once you've done that, you can buy the same hive type as them and then they'll be able to help you much more effectively: you'll have the same frames, brood boxes and supers so you can borrow bits and you'll already know that that hive type works well in your area.

If you really can't resist it :) then the two best routes seem to be a good quality made-up hive in a National size (14x12 is the same size but deeper brood body and larger frame area) or a poly Langstroth like Swienty or Modern Beekeeeping.

I'd suggest keeping clear of second hand and flat pack for your first hive: you'll need all your practical-ness and effort to learn about and cope with your first bees - you won't need extra challenges like finding things don't fit properly or things aren't properly square and frames don't fit perfectly. Make up the frames by all means, but start with a set of perfect hive boxes, floor and roof. You can get creative and more efficient later on when you have 10 colonies :)

Just my recommendation. I started 2 years ago and would have sunk horribly without early Mentors and support from others on this forum. Don't try and do it supported only by a beginners' course and books - find a human being who will help you.

Welcome and good luck!

FG

Essex bee-keepers seem to favour commercial 16x10 hives, your course may suggest using those but other SE bee keepers tend to be more National or National 14x12s in London's mild micro climate

Tom Bick makes hives in west london and they are good hives send him a pm , caddon hives appear cheep but not seen one yet and others make ply pine or deal hives at lowish prices

but let's get to basics, do have you a source of bees and do you know what frames configuration they are on, what frames do most people in your BKA use

if you want to catch the early pollen, unless you pay over the odds i would expect most over winter nuc of bees to be pre booked already, though keep looking on this forum , Bees are more readily available from June onwards, if cost is a problem then consider that £hornes are advertising nuc at £220+20%vat May nucs are via a bee breader about £160+ but you will problalely get a better deal of your course for a late june Nuc for SAY £100 or a swarm for even less ,and i have heard of july Caste being given away free to anyone with a poly nuc:biggrinjester:e

Last edited:
MM,

No VAT on bees, apparently. I can understand the livestock bit, but the hardware they come with has a value.

Still only a stock supplied by a A N Other and marked up by about 100%.

Regards, RAB

wait 'til you've 'had a go' with a few hive types at the training apiary, then choose.

An excellent source of suppliers can be found HERE

Scroll out to see a Finland, Denmark and France
(refresh the page if its blank and or resize the map and refresh)

MM,

No VAT on bees, apparently. I can understand the livestock bit, but the hardware they come with has a value.

Still only a stock supplied by a A N Other and marked up by about 100%.

Regards, RAB

well than with teach me to be more careful, just saw them a £220 in their pricelist and assume as all their other items are quoted without VAT it would be +20%

so if it is a small nuc it will be about 3p per Bee which makes my big 14x12+super worth about £2000 :party:

Welcome to the forum Alex :)

As previously stated the Thorne's bees on a budget hive is great value, my neighbour has one and is ordering another this year. However, bear in mind it only comes with a standard national brood box and as he has discovered some strains of bees need more room, he is now using brood and a half and may have been better starting with a 14 x 12 brood box.

Do your course and talk to your instructors and local BKA members and if possible try out some different hives, also if you get the chance try lifting a full 14 x 12 frame to see if you are comfortable with it.

Flat pack is not difficult and will teach you a lot about hive construction, it will also help you if you decide later to build your own hive parts.

Last edited:
Echo the praise of Thornes Bees on A Budget range, not only do you get a starter hive but all the necessary paraphanlia as well, at a good price.

Even if you decide to go for a larger brood box in the second season then you can still reuse the supers and everything else

If you can get to him, Hivemaker every time. Excellent quality, the girls (if you purchase a nuc too) have the most gentle temperament and Pete will advise as and when you need it. Can't sing his praises enough!

Hi
Essex Paul, on here, sells hives with bees etc (Hive = bees floor BB qe roof and 2 supers ) for around £200. He's been really helpful with the hives I bought from him, and happy to answer all the stupid question I've asked him. He's very friendly and his bees are well tempered.
The hives he makes himself and might not look the best but work fine.

Highly recommend him.

Pete

may have been better starting with a 14 x 12 brood box.

Valid observation NS, perhaps an immediate conversion when purchasing?

For info:2.4m long 94 x 18mm pine planking from B&Q is perfect for extending a std BB to 14x12 (did all of mine last year). Comes out at about £5 a box to convert. Very easy saw and screw job. Even seconds 14x12's are £30 or so, worth the DIY effort given everything else you get in the kit. Effectively you create a stepped base eke.

Latest posts

Back