new bee keeper-advice needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helenp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
About to get my first nuc,arriving Wed and wanting to try icing sugar as varroa control--help please on when, and how often it should be done.Thanks in anticipation of plenty of advice.

Hi Helen, Good luck with your nuc - they are totally addictive so be warned!
Wrt to ypur question re icing sugar I'm sure I've read recently that its efficacy in controlling varroa is doubtful, but can't remember where. But I'm sure keepers with more experience will be along soon and give you more detailed answers for and against its use.

Welcome and have fun!

Welcome to the craft and..... that was the nice bit.

You are paying good money for your bees and no doubt you want to keep them. ... alive that is.

Your plan is based on out of date thinking and needs to be re-considered.

Sorry...

PH

About to get my first nuc,arriving Wed and wanting to try icing sugar as varroa control--help please on when, and how often it should be done.Thanks in anticipation of plenty of advice.

Welcome to the mad house :rofl:

Best to wait to see what sort of Varroa Problem you have, before you deside on how to treat it!

Always ask for advice here first before you jump in and do anything. Nice people Like PH are always around to answer your questions.

Have fun and may the Buzzzz be with you! bee-smillie

Sorry...

PH

PH, I don't use icing sugar myself, but I'm sure I heard our local bee inspector saying it was part of Fera's suggested IPM regime.
That was about a year ago I guess.

That may or may not be the case Poly, I have yet to see any evidence that it doesn't work, (although it may not), however as you know I keep bees successfully with less losses in many cases than people that treat year on year on year without using any treatments except icing sugar. No losses in the last 12 months and only two in the winter before that due to Queen loss and not varroa.

I accept that a new keeper with only one or two colonies may want to TRY to be more secure by using more invasive treatments but there are choices.

I wouldn't give advice, better to present all the facts and let the individual make up their own mind.

Good luck with your new bees.

Chris

That may or may not be the case Poly, I have yet to see any evidence that it doesn't work, (although it may not), Chris

I don't generally get involved in the contentious discussions, but ...

I have yet to see any evidence that pixie dust doesn't work, either!

You can download a really good leaflet on Varroa and its treatments from Beebase.

Helen
Nothing like opening a can of worms with your first post!

Just remember everybody means well and wants the best for you and your bees. As they say ask two beekeepers and you'll get three answers!

I have yet to see any evidence that pixie dust doesn't work, either!

You may not normally get involved in contentious issues but you certainly know how to be facetious.

AFAIK Icing sugar does exist and in the opinion of some people has a beneficial effect in reducing varroa mites, as I have said many times I don't know how efficacious it is. Pixie dust on the other hand is normally considered to be a figment of some peoples imagination, although if there have been any control studies on this matter I would welcome a link.:smilielol5:

Chris

varroa control

for my two penny worth, I use a product called "Hive Clean" at every other inspection my mentor swears by it (and at me,but he means well!) available from ******** £18 a bottle and lasts for ages. I used it all last year and found very little varroa at any time of the year.

Dave W

I have not used Icing sugar but I guess the test will be to check natural drop of Varroa on the inspection tray and then the drop after a dusting, if this is observed over a number of times it will perhaps show if the dusting dislodges the mites or not.

I have in the past been told that the antycaking agent added to icing sugar can be harmful to the bees and if it is possible to get powdered sugar without the additive will be the best option.

I've never bothered with the icing sugar method, I just treat in the autumn when feeding them up for winter.
I would susgest making sure the hive you put them in has an open mesh floor and then to a count as to how many fall to the floor.

Don't bother with varroa treatment for now. Wait until you have your honey crop off and use vapour strips as directed in the autumn.

Use an open mesh floor as well.

Feed for say two weeks as they will need to draw a lot of foundation.

Icing sugar needs to be a specific crystal size in order to work. I wouldn't bother with it.

Just concentrate on getting them established and don't worry about pests/disease for now.

Latest posts

Back