New apiary site setup, any last minute advice ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
Hi all

First year and loving it

Hive at allotment site doing well, reckon it could be super time on this weekends inspection, though site is not ideal , in shade, overhanging trees, close to other beeks hives

So.. After a year of lobbying have managed to get the all clear to setup an apiary 2 hives initially , in grounds of convent beside a school, have a good location in a clearing surrounded by trees but gets sun, not in sight .

Have hive stand, going to cut grass , lay black out visquene over area, erect 6' fence in front of hives to get them up above head height when coming and going. Also to screen off apiary to further conceal.

Going Sunday to collect an established hive, starting on first super and a newly mated queen in a Nuc on 3 frames brood, from a well known and reputable beek , round trip 150 miles.

Any advice ,welcome :thanks:

Other than forage, which you can't do too much about, making sure there is a good water source not too far away that the bees can use but will not cause a problem for people is my only advice.

My ideal hive stand would be long enough to take three hives. Put a hive in the middle. During the year that will give you an ideal position,each side to AS and to keep an overwintering nuc one side in future years.
I unfortunately have one stand some 20 feet long. That was fine for three colonies and was profligate in space :)but I twisted my own arm to have four and at the moment there are nine boxes there..........sigh!!!!

not relating to the apiary site, but take a water spray for the bees - especially if it's hot and you're travelling any time other than back at first light!! I'm assuming that they will have a travel screen rather than cover board - with or without holes (and in this instance, holes with mesh would be better than none...!)

Always put hive stand on slabs. One mole and it will be on its side!
E

Always put hive stand on slabs. One mole and it will be on its side!
E

:iagree:

Had one out apiary that I never quite got round to putting slabs down.

In my case it wasn't moled but rabbits and one hive nearly ended up on it's side.

Needless to say I finally got the paving slabs down and even installed ground anchors for the hive straps!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back