New Apiary, hive location - comments and opinions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can. It is a big difference between hives which are in half shade and in open sun.
I suppose it depends upon your objective. Mine is to have healthy hives as a hobby so I don't scrutinise production to the last gram of honey and having them in partial shade has not caused them to fail. Plus I get some protection from wind in winter.
If it is so crucial why does the feral colony in the aforementioned tree with a north facing entrance continue to thrive?

Looks nice.
I had some of mine on the edge of a wood in the shade. I had to move them they became very aggressive, now they are back to being normal again.
Rain dripping onto the roof from trees drove mine nuts and it was always damp under the trees.
Just make sure it's not a frost pocket could make your winter hard work.

I suppose it depends upon your objective. Mine is to have healthy hives as a hobby so I don't scrutinise production to the last gram of honey and having them in partial shade has not caused them to fail. Plus I get some protection from wind in winter.
If it is so crucial why does the feral colony in the aforementioned tree with a north facing entrance continue to thrive?

You speak against all known knowledge.

Feral bees die after couple of years. Best bait hive places are in sunny, south facing places.

Colonies are not healthier in shade place than in sunny place. You get chalkbrood first into half shade hives.

Good yields do not make hives sick.

What ever...avoid shade and windy places in beekeeping

Last edited:
I'm not talking about being in the deepest darkest forest! But with lack of space in UK and most agriculture land cropped it's not always possible to get a totally sunny apiary - you just made it sound like you're doomed if you get a bit of shade.

Will let you know progress of feral colony over coming years. I know two houses that have had colonies lodging for years so your sweeping statement about them dying out is not right.

I imagine we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm not talking about being in the deepest darkest forest! But with lack of space in UK and most agriculture land cropped it's not always possible to get a totally sunny apiary - you just made it sound like you're doomed if you get a bit of shade.

Will let you know progress of feral colony over coming years. I know two houses that have had colonies lodging for years so your sweeping statement about them dying out is not right.

I imagine we'll have to agree to disagree.

A little off-topic....but I thought I'd chip in....as I was recently "told off!"

In April at a Beekeeping Conference, some Scientist Speakers, stated that UK feral colonies had now all died out in the UK, and there were no feral colonies in the UK, and all Bees were being managed by Beekeepers, I spoke recently to a fellow local Beekeeper, which told me this was not correct, and showed me three local feral colonies, that he knew of, that have survived for the last 6 years to his knowledge.

and, at my place of work, we have three colonies which have survived over the last winter, (well okay 2013 winter was very mild!), and they have swarmed twice! It will be interesting to see, if they survive the Winter of 2014!

Can't say I notice the difference between my two apiaries where one is more shaded than other. The swarmed colony from last summer in the neighbouring tree seems happy enough

Hi Fatbee I have noticed that my two hives in the shade are having to be fed at the moment, and my two in full sun are out early and going nuts on the Bean Plants in a local field while the other take there time to get going, in the shade it seems to me it is the warmth of the day that starts them off, whereas the others it is the sun coming up ?
All different all over the country I expect.

A little off-topic....but I thought I'd chip in....as I was recently "told off!"

In April at a Beekeeping Conference, some Scientist Speakers, stated that UK feral colonies had now all died out in the UK, and there were no feral colonies in the UK, and all Bees were being managed by Beekeepers, I spoke recently to a fellow local Beekeeper, which told me this was not correct, and showed me three local feral colonies, that he knew of, that have survived for the last 6 years to his knowledge.

and, at my place of work, we have three colonies which have survived over the last winter, (well okay 2013 winter was very mild!), and they have swarmed twice! It will be interesting to see, if they survive the Winter of 2014!

I have a Farm down the road that swears it is the same bees in this old Chestnut tree for the past 10 years ! OK but he has had one there for that time, and I know if several more dotted about over in my location, I would have thought to say there are No Ferrel Colonies is a bit of a big un-backed up assumption. What about the lost swarms from Beeks

Interesting, in my first year, have newly hived colony on allotment.

Council in their wisdom and efficiency ( heavy sarcasm ) installed an apiary after a long delay behind a bank of leylandii trees hidden from the sun from sunrise untill setting wherupon they get a brief blast of dying sun. Also area is under the branches of these trees again which is obviously not ideal and the apiary is fronted by a 12' hight mesh fence.

Anyway, from observing the hives at length there it is crystal clear to see the increase in activity when the sun hits the entrance intermittently through gaps in the trees ( few ).

All books say early morning sun is very much preferable to get them up and out.

Not sure on the next bit though, as to whether all day sun is preferable.

out of my 5 apiaries,the one on top of a mountain and shaded all day by trees is bringing way more than the rest.i have had hives up there for the last 3 years and not had a loss yet over winter.they definitely are the worst for being aggressive though.the queens are reared at home apiary so its where they are is making them more aggressive.much more wind and shade than other apiaries but they do well there.

Very interesting thread this one as I will be setting out an empty hive to encourage some of the local feral bees to set up home!

Very similar outlook to the OP, I have three acres of grassland surrounded by hedges and mature trees and can therefore set the hive out to suit the bees. Biggest difference is temperature, the site is in southern Normandy!

So would you face the hive N,S,E or W? In the open or backing onto a hedge?

Neighbours and livestock are not a problem here, neither is being overlooked.

Comments please.....

Ziggy

2 quick points from a beekeeper who learnt along time ago:

Prior to varroa feral bees could last indefinitely. Post varroa many Beekeepers have witnessed wild be colonies collapse as they are overwhelmed and this seems to have led to some sweeping statements about the current situation with feral bees. More recently however I think people are beginning to become aware that our best hope of varroa resistance will come from genetically self selecting wild colonies that are learning to groom themselves and there is a good article about how that has happened more rapidly in Africa as they do not insist on breeding non-resistant queens and introducing them to their apiaries.

Secondly however Finman is right about sun. Hives placed in direct sunlight are warmer and this results in earlier expansion of brood area, earlier and later flying and dryer hives. This can result in both increased productivity and healthier colonies in the uk. Note this may not be true in hotter countries or after global warming. I have not heard of colonies in the uk becoming too hot and suffering.

Although I have very limited experience, if there is a preferential direction then surely in a U shape some will be facing in precisely the wrong direction. Purely from a personal perspective I love just standing a few feet from the front watching them come and go which could be tricky in a U.

I agree with a previous poster, don't put them directly under the trees. Bees don't like Chinese water torture ;)

I agree with a previous poster, don't put them directly under the trees. Bees don't like Chinese water torture ;)

Something to think about when I arrange the hive stands! I'll need to discuss with landowner, if I can move them slightly out, or cut some branches of trees, or move them back....

Latest posts

Back