New Abelo Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Beefriendly

Just got my hands on one.
I'm impressed. I've posted some photos below comparing it to the older (still available) hive type.
First impressions are it's nice and compact, ideal for migratory beekeeping. There is a much reduced landing board compared to the older type. this will either please or displease people....I like landing boards so glad there is a bit of one. Also shortly available will be some proper plastic varroa trays for sliding underneath the floor. The roof is neat and sits on a lip on the new crown board
It doesn't flow over the sides like the old one so has a much reduced footprint. The Crown-board has also been redesigned and is now down to one central hole and and an oblong hole for a dedicated miller type feeder. All with inserts to block off when not required. I've used some gimp pins to secure them in place.
Now just need some bees to go in it. .....
Role on spring.

Attachments

• hive1.jpg
    hive1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 110
  • floor1.jpg
    floor1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
  • roof1.jpg
    roof1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • crownboard4.jpg
    crownboard4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
  • crownboard5.jpg
    crownboard5.jpg
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 97
I like the deep roofs but then I don’t move my boxes around. The crownboard looks interesting. How deep is it and will it fit under the old roof?

The crown board is the same size as the old one so will fit underneath the deep roofs fine. The new slim roof however won't fir over the old crown boards as it's designed to sit on a lip on the new crown board to keep the footprint small.

Latest posts

Back