Never had colonys like it.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. Reading that and some other data I'm finding conflicting reports on the magnitude of variation. However, I may be wrong to have doubted you so need to do more reading on the topic-- my apologies if I've caused any offence.
None taken. Lively debate is good, stimulates curiousity which is the bedrock of why we do science. 🙂

OK, nothing better to do with my early morning....

MP was referring to a talk which he had heard.

He wrote, on beesource in a thread titled 'German Black Bees' (Dec 2005):

"Did you get to see Jamie Strange's talk on the local bees of France...in the Lavender region? Quite fascinating".

"His presentation was about local bees in France. He showed that the mellifera bees had a brood rearing spike just before the Lavender flow. It was as if they "knew" that the flow was coming. The Buckfast bees that were brought in by migratory beekeepers had a brood rearing spike on the Lavender flow...as a result of the flow."

Thats it. Although I think he may have mentioned the talk in other threads too.

Sounds like a local adaptation in behaviour or epigenetic change leading to responding to the same climatic conditions leading to the lavender bloom?

GU21 but also know lack of flow in Hampshire in places.

I'm Surrey/Hants border, hives mostly around Farnham and Frensham. As per @Ian123 we had an amazing early flow which then got eaten in the bad weather. Only managed to rescue half a bucket of OSR. Just had an ok flow in July which would have been better if not cut short. Sorry to hear it's not been as good your way.

Yes. Perhaps climate change has put paid to much.
I know my bees pile back home at the threat of rain but I can usually see that threat too, especially if I have washing out 😉
I don’t think they are any better than my weather apps
Probably quicker than your app, WiFi signals can be shizzle at the best of times.

rhetorical - what's 3G.
Worryingly I read "..........committed to shutting the network down by December 31st, 2022. All 3G basic phones and smartphones will lose service, but some 4G devices will be impacted as well.........."
Looks like those of us with piss poor service won't have any at all soon - think thats called progress - then we can pay more for even less too.

Where did you read that?
In Wikipedia when I looked up 3G.
End of life
December 31st, 2022
Verizon has delayed its CDMA 3G network shutdown several times but is now firmly committed to shutting the network down by December 31st, 2022. All 3G basic phones and smartphones will lose service, but some 4G devices will be impacted as well — namely, those that don't support VoLTE (Voice over LTE).27 May 2021

I can’t keep up with this technology!
I have to pay for unlimited data from EE AND a landline from BT to get non existent broadband! At least I’m pinching my daughter’s Netflix!

In Wikipedia when I looked up 3G.
End of life
December 31st, 2022
Verizon has delayed its CDMA 3G network shutdown several times but is now firmly committed to shutting the network down by December 31st, 2022. All 3G basic phones and smartphones will lose service, but some 4G devices will be impacted as well — namely, those that don't support VoLTE (Voice over LTE).27 May 2021

Verizon is an American telecoms network company. So, probably not much impact from this closure in Scotland.

I can’t keep up with this technology!
I have to pay for unlimited data from EE AND a landline from BT to get non existent broadband! At least I’m pinching my daughter’s Netflix!

If you have good 4g ditch the BT line and either tether computers TVs and the like to your phone
or get a myfi or other WiFi device eg Amazon Alexa hub or similar to provide you with WiFi around the home.

I can't use my phone as a hotspot without wifi.....would Alexa work? Can you explain?

If you have a smartphone and 4G at the house, you need to get a good mobile phone contract to include a lot of data, go into the settings and set the phone as a wi-fi hotspot. Once any internet-hungry, wi-fi devices such as laptops find the hotspot, you connect and will get fast internet. You can test the difference on your current contract, just don't do it for long if you don't have a good data contract. We only have about 1Mbps download speed via TalkTalk landline. But we can get up to 15Mbps via a Vodafone 3G device.; we could get even faster from 4G. Our unlimited Vodafone contract costs £30 per month. Being oldies, we set it up at the Vodafone shop and a nice young man explained it to us.

Latest posts

Back