Netweather.tv Summer Forecast 2011 "Shades of 1976"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
So who remembers beekeeping in 1976? I was only 3 so I don't really remember much about it apart from lots of ladybirds.

If this summer really does turn out to be a hot and dry one what does this mean for our bee's? Is it a good or bad thing?

Discuss.............................:coolgleamA:

Edit - Forgot the link - http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=summer-forecast;sess=

Last edited:
I dont remember it either i was only 4 but I can remember two years ago when they promised June July and August was going to be hot and it was horrible just remember it is a forecast not guaranteed

I dont remember it either i was only 4 but I can remember two years ago when they promised June July and August was going to be hot and it was horrible just remember it is a forecast not guaranteed

I do remember it and I was only talking about it earlier on with others who can't. I was five.

Proabbly not good, as there will be a shortage of forage, I'd have thought, with nectar supplies drying up.

1976.........just out of university and in my first job.
Blazing hot summer
Lazy hazy crazy days spring to mind.
Now I live ooooop north ( a place I didn't know existed in those halcyon days) I hope some down sarf heat percolates up here.

I remember it. It could be a poor year if the long range forecast is correct, however down here the 5 day forecast seems to change between a.m and p.m
If the weather stays dry I think that the June gap will be longer than normal, this may require some of large stocks out there requiring feed in the near future. The main crop in my area is usually from white clover and bramble, if there is no substantial rain then the clover will probably fail even if the temp. and humidity are to its liking unless its growing on clays. Bramble is fairly reliable but it to will crisp up if it stays too dry.
Limes may yield this year but its not that reliable.

1976 was hot and dry.
It's cold and wet.

Spot the difference :)

I remember 1976 well.

May was quite average (we have had a lot less rain this May!) and June, July and August were scorchers.

Living in Leicestershire, the Soar was barely a trickle and the grass was brown and crispy.

This year I have had four hives on the rape and have barely gathered a Super between them. I presume due to the lack of rain.

I can't see a hot, dry summer being good for the bees...

for those ancient beekeepers :D, was '76 a swarmy year?

I hate you all!! I was expecting my 3rd son in the September- yep it was hot.... not the time to be preg..but so was 1970 - my first babe spent that summer starkers in a pram under a canopy trying to keep cool..

I remember '76 with very fond memories, yes a scorching summer literally, there were a lot of fires. That said, halcyon days most certainly.

If its going to be a hot Summer it better start improving, rained almost all the time for last 4 days up here.

lol they said last year we were going to have a bbq summer lol.

LOL @ 4 days of rain... we live in a Maritime climate or is this news?

"A forecast is just that, not a promise." A maxim I lived by when organising boat loads of kit for the rig at daily rental prices you don't want to know.

PH

They cant forecast more than 5 days in advance so its ll just a guess

So thats why we were always waiting for kit! Still fogs the one you dont want up there when your trying to get home.

I was -2 in '76:smilielol5:

We've had rain almost every day this month so far. A bit of su would be lovely:mad:

I'm so impressed by all of you who can remember '76 - I have difficulty remembering yesterday!

Forecast must be spot on - awoke this morning to cold, damp drizzle!

I was only 1 in '76 but I do have a lot of memories from '77 as that is when my sister was born....
I'd be happy to see a few months of sunshine. A lack of surplus honey is not a concern as I'd like to further increase the number of colonies I am looking after this year and i'll be feeding Nucs to help them build comb.

Latest posts

Back