Ne'then !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor meldrew

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Another pearl of wisdom?
VM

y6yjunan.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just another do Gooder! getting his name in print ! And pic of course .
Not much corn syrup fed where he hails from but don't let facts get in the way of a good story :)
Yield drops source of info aren't realistic given the sparse information return to the quoted .
VM

natural beekeeping trust:hairpull:

They have a lot to learn

Last edited:
I've got one of those.
It's called a skep.

Look out Pete he could just convert you!
He's from Frome :D
VM

"There are beekeepers who treat their bees with respect and care but their numbers are very small"

I take it that Mr Powell has done a full survey of all UK beekeepers and can give us a blow by blow account of which beekeepers don't treat their bees with respect.

Otherwise he's talking bull excrement.

He hasn't done a survey I hear you think.. well ...why am I not surprised?
He appears to be another self proclaimed expert who knows exactly what everyone else is doing wrong but are perfect themselves. Uriah Heep springs to mind but I am not sure why :not worthy:

Last edited:
I dont agree with the qualification for term "natural" being a husbandry practice of the mid 19th century and earlier. These are practices of man and should subject to the same scientific and ethical scrutiny as later practices.
A bee keeping practice being an early practice is not a guarantee of benefit or benign.

See lead acetate used as sweetner
arsenic as cosmetic and pigment
mercury as medicine
Laudenum as tonic.

The term "natural" should be reserved to non-manmade artifacts or similarity to non-manmade artifacts. Thus for a hive to be "natural" it should have some of the quantifiable charateristics of a wild bee nest.

Last edited:
I dont agree with the qualification for term "natural" being a husbandry practice of the mid 19th century and earlier.......

I wonder if you asked the bees of today wether they preferred the old way or the modern way, what they would say. Let's face it the old ways led to the death of a lot of bees.

The real "natural way" is to leave them alone in the first place.

The real "natural way" is to leave them alone in the first place.

Starvation is natural in times of dearth!
In these circumstances I feed mine, ne'er mind ,"leave them alone"
VM

Starvation is natural in times of dearth!
In these circumstances I feed mine, ne'er mind ,"leave them alone"
VM

Agreed, I am not advocating "leaving them alone" I was commenting on what is natural that was all. Natuaral is to leave them alone, is what I meant, in a purist way any kind of bee "keeping" is un-natural. (imho).

Corn syrup.......?

Drop a dress size.... do not eat anything with corn syrup in it... it turns straight to fat!

I have been a 14 for years ( but that is another story!)

Agreed, I am not advocating "leaving them alone" I was commenting on what is natural that was all. Natuaral is to leave them alone, is what I meant, in a purist way any kind of bee "keeping" is un-natural. (imho).

But is natural .?
Ants farm both aphids and algae !
VM

in a purist way any kind of bee "keeping" is un-natural. (imho).

:iagree:

Put bees into a container whether it's straw, wood , poly or plastic and fiddle around with then (even only to lightly dust them with icing sugar is not natural beekeeping.
I have been a 14 for years (

Yes, but we're talking dress sizes here not IQ's or reading ages :D

there is nowt natural about beekeeping end of, no matter how you word it.

Back