neoprene and honey bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gill68

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I was intrigued to notice that the bees seem to be really attracted to my son's drying neoprene boots( much to his consternation!)
Anyone any idea what it might be that holds the fascination for them? There is a weed covered pond that they drink from much nearer the hive. Do they go for salt water does anyone know? He's meant to rinse his boots out but I don't think it happens very often!!
Maybe its young man smelly feet?
Any ideas??

Both salt and sugar in water attracts bees

John Wilkinson

Mine love neoprene wetsuits /boots, too. It's really irritating as I have to walk past the hives to/from a nice spot where I go kayaking - I do worry what EXACTLY is in my honey - blerghh.

I once spent some days in the amazon jungle and after one days hiking I hung my soaking wet sweaty Tshirt on a branch while I changed into a cleaner one and it was very quickly covered with an array of butterflies drinking the sweat up.

mmm nice!!
Suddenly not so sure about the honey from my hives!!

that gives me an idea for some old neoprene waders I was just gonna chuck in the bin,they have sprung a couple of leaks and they are useless,they might be ok for warmer weather when water is not as available to the bees,I'm sure I could knock something up.

I was wondering much the same especially a winter source of water near the hives?

Back