Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

grangebees 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Hi - Some of you might be interested in the petition just started at
No 10 Downing Street - ban Neonicotinoid insecticides in crops petition
You can sign it if it something you feel strongly about by clicking the link below and following the instructions

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BeeDeath/

All the best
Susan

gavin 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
about 70 and rising
What do you mean - no fields containing just one crop? Measures to ensure that single fields of different crop types are mixed in an area?

The EU parliament recently urged measures to help bees, including, at the suggestion apparently of a couple of commercial beekeepers not very far from me, deliberate planting of bee forage crops on a small percentage of agricultural land. Raise a sensible petition on *that* and you'd get me signing.

Banning neonicotinoids on no good evidence that the way they are used in the UK is harmful ... or causing major disruptions in the way farms operate in other ways ... is risking the food supply at a time when food shortages are on the horizon due to the effects of climate change and population growth ... to me that seems a dangerous path.

best wishes

Gavin

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
"Banning neonicotinoids on no good evidence that the way they are used in the UK is harmful ... or causing major disruptions in the way farms operate in other ways ... is risking the food supply at a time when food shortages are on the horizon due to the effects of climate change and population growth ... to me that seems a dangerous path"

You and I both know that's utter cobblers - the farming world existed fine without neonicotinoids, it can very easily do so again - all the farmers supplying the Coop, and the Coop's own farms are doing so already, so if you need to be shown how, the knowledge is there already..........
There is no question that unsustainable farming's days are numbered (the clue is in the word - it is un-sustainable - all the things upon which it is based are running out, and/or killing the land stone dead).
I don't think the original wish to stop monocultures was phrased well, but I fully understand and concur with the thought behind it - the countryside is largely "dead" and kept as an outdoor laboratory for the chemical companies (and the GM frankenprats).
We have to do two very important things - firstly we have to grasp the nettle of overpopulation throughout the world - as Dr Bartlett explains on youtube, it is simple arithmetic that we have to practice population control at some point - the only discussion is when and how (the sooner we do it, the less it will hurt, and the less damage we do to our home - the planet)
Secondly, we have to sweep away this old-fashioned, blinkered and highly simplistic industrial agriculture completely - it is quite simply ripping the "heart", the fertility from the land, and depends on enormous and unsustainable fossil fuel inputs.
Permaculture is already demonstrating far higher yields from land than can ever be achieved by chemicalised monocultures, by the simple expedient of helping the land's natural fertility to return, and working hand-in-hand with nature, rather than arrogantly trying to subjugate it (beautifully explained in the recent documentary by a BBC documentary maker about her father's west-country farm).
Industrial farming is rightfully dying - live with it! Better it dies than the earth's fertility dies and us with it...........
I find the "canaries in the coalmine" when referring to bees as most apposite - they are the indicators of the horrors we are wreaking upon the earth - and ourselves

Baggyone 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Considering where I live, I get to see plenty of examples where cabbages and potato's are grown year after year in the same fields. Not healthy.

SJH 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
2 + nuc
The problem with Neonicotinoids is not solely in agriculture; they are widely used by home users. They are in chemical sprays bought from garden centres. Bayer products including bug guns, vine weevil killers, glasshouse sprays, contain Imidachloprid (blue ones) and Thiachloprid (yellow ones). The home gardener is often overlooked, but they are responsible for the problem too.

Last edited:

Latest posts