neighbours stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have being asked by my neighbour if there is any reason why my bees take a liking to her hair (not her husband's) as on four ocasions a bee has attacked her head and the last time she got stung. Idon't believe its down to perfume or alcohol. Any thoughts? J.

First thought is to be sympathetic but cautious about accepting that the 4 in question are your bees. You'll end up being accountable for anything with wings and a sharp pointy thing at that rate, people love to have someone to blame and you appear to be the closest candidate!

Could be anything from the style/type of her hair, to hair conditioner, fabric conditioner or even the fact that she waves at the bees in alarm and her partner did not.

Perhaps your neighbour's length of hair is making the situation worse? Bees definitely don't appreciate long, fine hair. It's hard for them to avoid, and I always tie mine back when dealing with them, otherwise they can get in a tizz. I once got stung on the scalp by a tangled-up bee (and my bees hardly ever sting - you've really got to wind them up for them to even look like they're thinking about it).

If it's not the length of hair, it might be some subtle scent that's annoying them. Mine aren't keen on the smell of washing powder - a very recently-washed garment can get them a bit aeriated. So I guess even a basic shampoo might make things worse. Hairspray would definitely not be such a good idea.

Mine are very fond of Body Shop Honey Lip Balm, but the less said about *that* incident, the better:rolleyes:

This is why we join forums: for the compassion and sympathy you get from sharing those painful problems with others...:biggrinjester:

Hairspray - I got pinged in the front garden when I was going to a posh 'do' and had used it for the first time in ages...the girls were no amused...

Iv had a couple of people stung in my garden and my bees were accused but on further investigation they were smallish tan colored bumblebees are you sure they are yours?

I've noticed "tea tree" shampoo gets them going for my head.

One with hardly any perfume doesn't affect them.

Don't use your wife's shampoo on inspection days.

invariably leading to a sting as I couldn't see to extract them properly

I was advised that probably the best course of action if they get tangled in your hair is to squash the bee before it stings......If you try and extract it, it will get even more angry.

Not what we want to do, but if it stings, it will die anyway.....

I was advised that probably the best course of action if they get tangled in your hair is to squash the bee before it stings......If you try and extract it, it will get even more angry.

Not what we want to do, but if it stings, it will die anyway.....

Interesting philosophical point - does it does become less angry if dead :)

No, sure you're right - the problem is how hard and often do you smash yourself on the head before landing on your somewhat confused bee. Good entertainment for any bystanders I guess

Good entertainment for any bystanders I guess

No.

If anybody is watching you have to appear to be brave and tough and allow yourself to get stung without showing any pain...

Then scream later and bang your head against the wall with the hope that it will counteract the sting.

[Mine are very fond of Body Shop Honey Lip Balm, but the less said about *that* incident, the better:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Oh tell us again - go on - did you look like you'd gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson?

four ocasions

My first thought was of her counting ability, my second was of her likely 'exaggeration' skills.

I would not be questioning her of my suspicions - but you did ask for 'thoughts'!

Regards, RAB

I have being asked by my neighbour if there is any reason why my bees take a liking to her hair (not her husband's) as on four ocasions a bee has attacked her head

Lets be honest here... and admit that a lot of hairstyles look as if they have aready been attacked....

There's a thread somewhere about not using Head n Shoulders shampoo (and maybe the supermarket generics??).

And I agree, they could have been anyone's or no-one's if wasps etc...

Latest posts

Back