Neighbours show true colours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:calmdown: Hachi. You'll do yourself an injury! ;-)

There may be a very good reason if she is allergic. People feel very threatened when you don't respect their fears. If you ask the question instead of winding her up, you'll all come out winners.

Lets look at the facts as reported;

She lives FIVE doors away;
Instead of discussing it sensibly she resorts to threatening behaviour;
Not convinced her own threats have hit home or will have the desired effect, she then embarks on attempts at social exclusion by instigating a petition to single out the OP from his neighbours;
There has been no mention of allergies; oh yeah cos she's too busy throwing a tantrum and fruit loop.
By her actions she has clearly demonstrated an inability to think straight, has a unhealthy disposition to anger as the "default position" and getting emotionally in a complete tailspin has lost all ability to think in a balanced way or communicate effectively.

People like that rarely listen to well balanced and presented arguments.

Someone comes to my door acting like that will NOT get honey from me :winner1st:

There has been no mention of allergies; oh yeah cos she's too busy throwing a tantrum and fruit loop.
By her actions she has clearly demonstrated an inability to think straight, has a unhealthy disposition to anger as the "default position" and getting emotionally in a complete tailspin has lost all ability to think in a balanced way or communicate effectively.

People like that rarely listen to well balanced and presented arguments.

Exactly! Perhaps this could all have been avoided if the OP had approached The person and asked. I had a similar situation so know from personal experience that the mere mention of bees (despite the fact that I have no bees at home) can send affected people off into seemingly irrational behavior.
Of course, if there isn't an allergy problem and she's just being awkward, I can understand the response. I'm just saying that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" sometimes. We don't know the person involved so, I think, we shouldn't jump to conclusions and be so defensive. Just my opinion, for what its worth.

Exactly! Perhaps this could all have been avoided if the OP had approached The person and asked. I had a similar situation so know from personal experience that the mere mention of bees (despite the fact that I have no bees at home) can send affected people off into seemingly irrational behavior.
Of course, if there isn't an allergy problem and she's just being awkward, I can understand the response. I'm just saying that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" sometimes. We don't know the person involved so, I think, we shouldn't jump to conclusions and be so defensive. Just my opinion, for what its worth.

My next door neighbour is terrified of bees, I had a talk with long him. He actually took delivery of the queen that B+ posted to me last year as I wasn't home. :)

The OP did ask and the neighbour freaked...
but irrational fears are just that, some information on the behaviour on honeybees might help, but might not. Some people are not convinced that bees are interested in flowers not us and that a swarm of bees is "happy" and not "menacing"

It seem lots of people no longer understand the benefits of insects, a honey bee is just another insect to kill. Its sad when children are asked where their food comes from and they answer Tesco they have little understanding of how things are grown and I suspect a lot of parents are just as uneducated.

Sometimes it is far better to seek forgiveness than permission. Her attitude and threats would mean squat to me; your house your castle if you want them in the garden then do it and ignore the dragon. It makes my **** boil that some nuisance dogooder takes it upon themselves to enforce their standards on you so that you have to change to keep the gits happy.... stuff that and I'd make damn sure everyone in the street, bar her, got free honey.

There .... I feel better now.

I agree. Life is too short to pander to other people at the expense of your own happiness. You live in a detached house with a big garden. As long as you are well read and
do your very best to keep bees safely and responsibly then ignore the ignorant busy body. Make sure you are on the ball with swarming.

I agree. Life is too short to pander to other people at the expense of your own happiness.

This is oh, so very true. If you want to keep bees, then keep them wherever you want, your neighbour will just have to grow a spine. If you pander to them this time they will be complaining about the colour of your car next (it has happened, it was in the news the other week).

Of course you know this now, but telling her your intentions was the mistake.
Every wasp nest or bumblebee in the area will now be entirely your fault.

Townies... and their AstroTurf front gardens.... you should get a couple of cockerels!

Yeghes da

This is oh, so very true. If you want to keep bees, then keep them wherever you want, your neighbour will just have to grow a spine. If you pander to them this time they will be complaining about the colour of your car next (it has happened, it was in the news the other week).

I must be in the minority then.
I believe we should encourage, but not force, our interests on others.
In fact, you will find that depriving your neighbour the ability to enjoy their garden will get you into trouble with the law.
You have the right to enjoy the benefits of your property, but, so do they.

Last edited:
In fact, you will find that depriving your neighbour the ability to enjoy their garden will get you into trouble with the law.

Fortunately it would seem that Wingey has made the sensible decision not to keep bees in his garden... hope the allotments do not back onto hers!
I can not for see a summer of love up in Wigan however!

Yeghes da

<snip>
You have the right to enjoy the benefits of your property

and that is why I have two hives in my garden, despite one shitty neighbour. All the others are fine, and get honey, the PITA doesn't ;)

The rest of my hives are on solar farms, with more going on this year.

and that is why I have two hives in my garden, despite one shitty neighbour. All the others are fine, and get honey, the PITA doesn't ;)

The rest of my hives are on solar farms, with more going on this year.

There seems to be a lot of careless talk going on here.
You might consider that he/she is a "shitty neighbour" but that won't help you if they make a complaint and you get a visit from the police and they tell you to move them.
I have studied enough law to know that he/she would have a case against you if they were stung. I repeat: they have the same rights to enjoy the benefits of their property that you do. Why is this so hard to understand?

Last edited:
, , , , despite one shitty neighbour. All the others are fine, and get honey, the PITA doesn't ;)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

The jobsworth and dogooders have had their day.

It's Political correctness and "oh don't upset the minorities, they should be allowed to do the things that are linked to their culture" that has us where we are today, Gangs of kiddie fiddlers and nutters wanting to "wipe out the infidels"!

You can see why the Yanks elected Mr Trump!

I concur.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

The jobsworth and dogooders have had their day.

It's Political correctness and "oh don't upset the minorities, they should be allowed to do the things that are linked to their culture" that has us where we are today, Gangs of kiddie fiddlers and nutters wanting to "wipe out the infidels"!

You can see why the Yanks elected Mr Trump!
i cannot agree with a word you say.

There seems to be a lot of careless talk going on here.
You might consider that he/she is a "shitty neighbour" but that won't help you if they make a complaint and you get a visit from the police and they tell you to move them.
I have studied enough law to know that he/she would have a case against you if they were stung. I repeat: they have the same rights to enjoy the benefits of their property that you do. Why is this so hard to understand?

Given the range and ubiquity of stinging pollinators, the risk of being stung can be argued to be and part and parcel of having flowers on your property that attract them, rather than the consequence of the actions of a distant bee keeper. Thus if care is shown to make the flight path in the immediate vicinity of the hive not impinge on the neighbours e.g. divert them upwards then it becomes the responsibility of the neighbours not to attract the bees to their gardens.
Bees are intrinsic to keeping flowers, flower keepers beware.

Latest posts

Back