Neighbours show true colours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Chatting with a neighbour a couple of weeks ago and mentioned that my 7 year old and I were going to get a bee hive this summer. Now I've always got on with my neighbours (except 1 who doesn't like me, but I can live with that) This neighbor immediately tells me that i can't keep bees in the garden as the council don't allow it. Ok I said (neglecting to say that I had no intention of putting them in the garden, they are going on the allotment).
So I checked with the council and they actively promote bee keeping.
Having a little game I fed this information back and that the bees would be ok. Next thing she has been knocking on doors trying to organise a petition to stop me. Then claims if they go in her garden she will use loads of pesticides.
Her face when I asked if it was ok for her to poison my pets that visited her garden would it be ok to put poison in my garden for when her cats visited to poo in the borders.
Wow people you thought you knew
Wingy

Buy a WBC shaped compost bin, I would just for a laugh.

She's probably just frightened of bees (the fact that she is a bit of a busybody organiser is unfortunate) stop winding her up, tell her they are going on to the allotment and were never destined for your garden. Give her honey when you get some, with a friendly smile.

As above, place an empty hive in the garden and say nothing.

Wait for complaints... which there will be - and then when they have mounted up - show it's empty.

That way , you kill the situation ... and shut your neighbour up...

And when you give free honey to your neighbours, make sure she gets some..

She is probably another one of these ill informed dogooders, The main reason this country is going down the pan.Best thing is to ignore her.Anyway the best of luck when you get your bees.It will be a good experience for you and your seven year old. Let us all know how you get on.

Of course you know this now, but telling her your intentions was the mistake.
Every wasp nest or bumblebee in the area will now be entirely your fault.

She's probably just frightened of bees (the fact that she is a bit of a busybody organiser is unfortunate) stop winding her up, tell her they are going on to the allotment and were never destined for your garden. Give her honey when you get some, with a friendly smile.

:iagree:
Dont see how you gain from winding her up ?

. . . This neighbor immediately tells me that i can't keep bees in the garden as the council don't allow it. . . . . . . . . . . So I checked with the council and they actively promote bee keeping.
. . . . . . . . . . Next thing she has been knocking on doors trying to organise a petition to stop me.. . . . .

Do the council own your house?

Although the council "actively promote Beekeeping" allotment rules may not allow it, have you checked?

You could put a small sign in the front garden, saying "Danger Honey Bees". I have one (£5 on fleabay) on my back gate. If you go with the empty hive in the garden I'd put a hidden camera looking up the garden just in case. :spy:

You could put a small sign in the front garden, saying "Danger Honey Bees".
Not sure I would do that, you are admitting their is a danger from your bees leaving you open to possible prosecution if anyone gets stung.
A sign simply saying "honey bees at work" might cover you better......as you could argue that anyone getting stung was interfering with their lawful occupation :)

There is something about similar signs for dogs at
http://www.govyou.co.uk/beware-of-the-dog-sign-laws/

Where abouts in Wigan are you... I caught 4 swarms in bait hives I left at my GFs in Hawkley Hall last year and collected several swarms from the Wigan Area.. I have hives in the Aspull and New Springs areas

Where abouts in Wigan are you... I caught 4 swarms in bait hives I left at my GFs in Hawkley Hall last year and collected several swarms from the Wigan Area.. I have hives in the Aspull and New Springs areas

Platt Bridge area
Wingy

Do the council own your house?

Although the council "actively promote Beekeeping" allotment rules may not allow it, have you checked?

You could put a small sign in the front garden, saying "Danger Honey Bees". I have one (£5 on fleabay) on my back gate. If you go with the empty hive in the garden I'd put a hidden camera looking up the garden just in case. :spy:

Checked with the council and there is no problem on the allotment, also spoke to most of the people on the other plots and no issues from them in fact most see it as a good thing to have a few extra bees around.

Re the garden / house its privately owned and freehold detached with a reasonably big back garden and the neighbour in question is 5 houses away
Wingy

Only problem with allotment beekeeping is that you often have a LOT of close neighbours to your plot and once someone gets stung - whether it's by a bee, a wasp or a nettle it will be your fault. Be prepared for complaints. Again, before you start beekeeping on an allotment you should determine where the hive(s) going to be sited - the flight path straight out of the hive (It's called a beeline for a good reason) and you need to put at least 6' screens of netting around them so that gets them up in the air and away.

You really need a Plan B because Councils have a very short fuse when it comes to complaints about allotments and you would not be the first to be asked to move bees at very short notice. In addition - you must have insurance as most Councils insist on it and a lot are now demanding the BBKA Basic Certificate.

Hive theft and vandalism on allotments is not unheard of either so you need to secure the hives with some means. Again .. I would put an empty hive on there for a couple of weeks before you put any bees in it .. make a big show of letting them know there are bees there now and step back and wait for the first complaint ! When you can then show them and empty hive ... Lots of us have been there and got the T Shirt !!!

So .. find somewhere else that you can put hives in an emergency - or an out apiary that you could use instead anyway. They are around if you look for suitable sites. Even the most docile of bee stocks can have grumpy days and as a new beekeeper you are going to spend longer with the hive open doing inspections ... all round recipe for panic - and Lord help you if they swarm !!!!

....... and then pop a fresh dog turd in a lit paper bag through her letterbox :O

Sometimes it is far better to seek forgiveness than permission. Her attitude and threats would mean squat to me; your house your castle if you want them in the garden then do it and ignore the dragon. It makes my **** boil that some nuisance dogooder takes it upon themselves to enforce their standards on you so that you have to change to keep the gits happy.... stuff that and I'd make damn sure everyone in the street, bar her, got free honey.

There .... I feel better now.

There .... I feel better now.

:calmdown: Hachi. You'll do yourself an injury! ;-)

There may be a very good reason if she is allergic. People feel very threatened when you don't respect their fears. If you ask the question instead of winding her up, you'll all come out winners.

Latest posts

Back