Need to kill off one of my hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain, but as you see, that is not how I would approach this. "Urgent help needed rehousing aggressive colony" might be better next time.

V. funny, HM., by the way; I tihnk that joke got lost in the emotions...

It does sound like you have a STRUCTURAL problem, not a colony problem; the only place you can find is too close to a path. Again, I feel your pain and in electrical weather, my girls hunt me down in my own garden; not appreciated. I am going to rig a screen of stuff I got at Amazon. In your case, I would probably double it up to 12 feet in height but if you rig it between you and the path when you inspect (if that is indeed the only time you have trouble; it may be the only time you KNOW of it), it might help with your remaining colonies. [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I5JH0P6"]1.83m x 10m Shade Windbreak Garden Netting Greenhouse Plant Wind Protection: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors[/ame]

I want to reuse the equipment so wont be using pesticide sprays etc,but have read that warm soapy water sprayed over the bees will kill them by drowning them due to the surfactant nature of the soap effectively drowinng the bees.

Just wondering Has anyone tried this method? Will the equipment be ok for reuse after spraying? (It wont be being used until next year)

Any advice welcomed:thanks:[/QUOTE]

If you really have to do it and with those 30 years behind you, you have clearly thought about this, then yes, washing up liquid will do it and you can then wash and reuse the comb.

Bees are livestock, I would not hesitate to cull a dog which worried sheep, with no other option at the moment, please do not criticise Gregior for thinking about a similar dilemma.
Cazza

I want to reuse the equipment so wont be using pesticide sprays etc,but have read that warm soapy water sprayed over the bees will kill them by drowning them due to the surfactant nature of the soap effectively drowinng the bees.

Just wondering Has anyone tried this method? Will the equipment be ok for reuse after spraying? (It wont be being used until next year)

Any advice welcomed:thanks:

If you really have to do it and with those 30 years behind you, you have clearly thought about this, then yes, washing up liquid will do it and you can then wash and reuse the comb.

Bees are livestock, I would not hesitate to cull a dog which worried sheep, with no other option at the moment, please do not criticise Gregior for thinking about a similar dilemma.
Cazza[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the support Cazza believe me i'm not happy about doing this but can't really see any other options,if i open them up to inspect,anyone going within 150yds of the hive for the next week WILL get stung. I know my apiary site obviously isn't ideal,and i will try to get the rest of them moved over winter but in the meantime see no other option:mad:

Rightly or wrongly I agree there are times when managing livestock, which is what we do, creates a situation that needs a solution and sometimes that solution is harsh. The importance at the beginning of this thread was the urgency that something had to be done and because of a lack of options there seemed to be only one solution left. As a result of this thread and this forum others have been able to offer help. That is to be applauded, but if none of these offers come to anything or are not practical for the circumstances then the original idea may be all that is left. I kill various animals for various reasons that I believe to be valid. Pest, food, illness and aggression.
I hope that the matter has now been dealt with by those that were able to offer immediate help. If not then deal with the matter as you said if you believe that to be necessary. Pm me if you want to know how to do it.
Fingers crossed for a good outcome
E

@gregior what area are you in? Maybe someone on here is close by

Why not just move it to a new location. Me, I can't wait to get an aggressive hive and see how it gets on after a few years. I've read they produce more honey and are better with dealing with varroa

Rightly or wrongly I agree there are times when managing livestock, which is what we do, creates a situation that needs a solution and sometimes that solution is harsh. The importance at the beginning of this thread was the urgency that something had to be done and because of a lack of options there seemed to be only one solution left. As a result of this thread and this forum others have been able to offer help. That is to be applauded, but if none of these offers come to anything or are not practical for the circumstances then the original idea may be all that is left. I kill various animals for various reasons that I believe to be valid. Pest, food, illness and aggression.
I hope that the matter has now been dealt with by those that were able to offer immediate help. If not then deal with the matter as you said if you believe that to be necessary. Pm me if you want to know how to do it.
Fingers crossed for a good outcome
E

PM sent

Why not just move it to a new location. Me, I can't wait to get an aggressive hive and see how it gets on after a few years. I've read they produce more honey and are better with dealing with varroa

Well they were pretty bad with Varroa in the spring and wouldn't be here now if i hadn't treated them-Doh!!
They have been by far my most productive hive though,i'v had 100lbs off them already this year

I can't move it because i have no out apiary and no car:(
This is where someone at your local association is likely to be able to help. Have you asked if anyone is able to help you move them offsite for a few weeks while they are requeened or combined?

Killing bad queens is one thing, but other than disease it's hard to see a situation where colonies need to be killed.

PM sent

Well they were pretty bad with Varroa in the spring and wouldn't be here now if i hadn't treated them-Doh!!
They have been by far my most productive hive though,i'v had 100lbs off them already this year

Well I'd keep them if they are producing the most Honey. This carry-on about dulling down our bees is wrong IMO, we should just learn how to deal with an aggressive hive. Its like getting all the most docile men on earth and culling the rest. I'd love to see the state of the men in a world like that, we'd all be running about with mini skirts on and getting up to stuff women do and there won't be a man amongst us. All wrong IMO!

Have you tried bleeding off the flying bees into another hive before looking for the queen ?

Well I'd keep them if they are producing the most Honey. This carry-on about dulling down our bees is wrong IMO, we should just learn how to deal with an aggressive hive. Its like getting all the most docile men on earth and culling the rest. I'd love to see the state of the men in a world like that, we'd all be running about with mini skirts on and getting up to stuff women do and there won't be a man amongst us. All wrong IMO!

:- ) V good: this thread is bringing out the stand-up!

What about " The Naughty Step " that's what i do with my little monster.

No seriously, have you discussed their behaviour with them ??

As in

" If this behaviour continues no more treats/sugar syrup for you girls !! "

:sifone:

I know my apiary site obviously isn't ideal,and i will try to get the rest of them moved over winter but in the meantime see no other option

You made lots of points about why you cant do anything and I'm begining to doubt your 30 years experience if you cant figure out how to move them.

Close the door at night and move them in the morning.......I'm sure you must know somebody with a van.

I just wonder how many people have opened a truly aggressive hive. It’s not for the faint hearted and if this colony is that bad without the space to sort them out, then the decision should not be counted out. A truly aggressive hive is a danger to animals and people. However the skill of the beekeeper should never allow the situation to get to this state and should have stepped in some time before.

Close them in at night when everyone is home, then move the hive a few metres away and set it up on a preprepared new stand with the entrance facing 180 degrees from the original direction. Next morning, set up a new hive on the old site. Put at least 6 frames in there with a couple of them being comb with a bit of food if you have it, along with a docile Queen from another stock or one bought in for the purpose.

Open up the nasties and retreat.

Next day you should be able to go through the nasty hive without incident to remove and replace that Queen.

All being well after 8 weeks, you should end up with 2 manageable colonies instead of one nasty.

(addition - needless I hope to say that the introduced queen should be in a cage with fondant plug)

Last edited:
Close them in at night when everyone is home, then move the hive a few metres away and set it up on a preprepared new stand with the entrance facing 180 degrees from the original direction. Next morning, set up a new hive on the old site. Put at least 6 frames in there with a couple of them being comb with a bit of food if you have it, along with a docile Queen from another stock or one bought in for the purpose.

Open up the nasties and retreat.

Next day you should be able to go through the nasty hive without incident to remove and replace that Queen.

All being well after 8 weeks, you should end up with 2 manageable colonies instead of one nasty.

(addition - needless I hope to say that the introduced queen should be in a cage with fondant plug)

first really helpful answer!!! keep it coming!

I just wonder how many people have opened a truly aggressive hive. It’s not for the faint hearted and if this colony is that bad without the space to sort them out, then the decision should not be counted out. A truly aggressive hive is a danger to animals and people. However the skill of the beekeeper should never allow the situation to get to this state and should have stepped in some time before.

Yes i agree i should have never let things go this far,i had a new Queen reared in a nuc for requeening this hive but one of my others became q- so i had to use her in that.

Yes i agree i should have never let things go this far,i had a new Queen reared in a nuc for requeening this hive but one of my others became q- so i had to use her in that.

Hope you get it sorted sap.

gregior

There are a lot of ill considered posts on here. Being a beekeeper means being responsible for your bees. If you can't move them and they are an immediate danger to the public....you've not much choice.

The preferred options are sealing the floor and entrance then CO2 fire extinguisher through the feed hole in the crown board.
or lift out and mist each frame of bees with 10:1 mix water and dishwasher liquid.
this is probably most humane.
or seal the floor/entrance and half a cup of petrol through the feed hole.

Good luck = and let us know how you got on, or PM me

Just off to club a few baby seals !

Richard

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back