Need some advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_220

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
2 + nuc
I have two hive one lost its queen a fue weeks " my fault live and learn" which is a carni type bee.
The other is a swam i removed for a friends garden 7miles away and of unknown type of bee to me, but i dont think there Carnolian like my others as they dont build up as fast.

The so the problem is i have one hive with no eggs now and no drood and a single queen cell, proberly moved by worker bees late in develpment of the bee. The hive is Very aggressive no suprise there i guess and they are makeing a mess of the hive filling it full of hunny in the brood :mad: I dont really want the eggs from the other hive as there not as good as the other as in productive.

Do i carry on and trust in the queen cell in the hive failing after the first one failed to stay and see what happends or do i get a new one from easy bee and hope it comes in time ?

Or is the another opption ?

Last edited:
i would get a new one if its a scrub queen cell, what you could do is give them some eggs from the other one let them make a good queen and just change her when ever but i would change the queen in the swarm as well if there from a swarmy lot or it could be a old queen

Have you thought about removing the QC and uniting.....then perhaps re-Queen when you know what you want?

Have you thought about removing the QC and uniting.....then perhaps re-Queen when you know what you want?

I know what i want i want to sort the queen out as its been a really good hive started last year May time at a guess and got 48pound in hunny off.

I will order a new queen seems the only really way to sort it i guess

I know what i want i want to sort the queen out as its been a really good hive started last year May time at a guess and got 48pound in hunny off.

But how do you know what you're going to get from whatever you have in the QC.....and more importantly what she mates with??

But how do you know what you're going to get from whatever you have in the QC.....and more importantly what she mates with??

Yes your right i wasnt beeing funny there. I just tryed to get a new queen from Easy Bee but they dont have any till 3rd week in may.

So i dont have alot of choice i guess i will have to let its run its course now :beatdeadhorse5: and if this queen works or fails to take. If it fails then i will have to unite the two hives as one untill a time i can split them and start the other again.

What is the best way to unite the two hives if it to long to type out just point me in the right place to look.

All the best Ryan

I have read a sheet of news paper and they chew through, by then they have got to know each other.

Put the struggling hive on top of your good hive - seperated by ONE sheet of newspaper. Scatter a few holes in the newpaper using a hive tool - just a short sharp slit and leave for at least 5 days.

I use a queen excluder to hold down the newspaper - and to ensure that theres no queen still in the top box.

Put the struggling hive on top of your good hive - seperated by ONE sheet of newspaper. Scatter a few holes in the newpaper using a hive tool - just a short sharp slit and leave for at least 5 days.

I use a queen excluder to hold down the newspaper - and to ensure that theres no queen still in the top box.

Thanks for that

Back