Need advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi There

Since starting my apiguard treatment last week I have noticed lots of bees congrigating on the outside of the hive almost as if they plan to swarm. Is this a usual reaction to the treatment? Also today I have seen bees leaving the hive carrying dead pupa away could this be as a result of the treatment or is it a sign of something more sinister? The queen is still laying,they have stores and lots of pollen seems to be coming in. Does anyone know what might be going on? My varroa drop count just before starting the treatment was 14 a day. Have I possibly caught it to late? Any advice gratefully recieved

Russ

Sounds to me like they are doing everything you would expect when using the treatment.
Whats your latest count ?

Thanks admin thats reassuring.
Have not done a count since starting treatment as the mites are falling thick and fast. Have been scraping off the board every 3 days into bin. At a rough guess would say 3 days is yielding about 70 mites. I did not think it was worth counting till the treatment was coming to the end!

Russ

Am surprised that the 14 a day pre treatment is only yielding 70 over 3 days- IMO 14 is a lot per day and 70 on treatment not a lot.
I would have expected in the 1000's after treatment with that pre treat count. - They are prob just getting some fresh air away from the apiguard, and are housekeeping well. -And the queen is still working - so ok.
And as asked- ?? open mesh floor?? If not- then I advise one asap

Hi There

Have got an open mesh floor but have put collection board in as advised on apiguard instructions to keep the thymol vapours in hive. Made attempt to count drop in last 24 hours and got bored after 150 so it does seem to be working.Thanks for advice

Russ

Latest posts

Back