Nectar/sugar syrup question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilN

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I’m just going through my equipment sorting out what I’m going to need for my first spring of beekeeping. I took off a super last winter that the bees had built comb on ( but no honey stores). I’ve just discovered that on a couple of frames there’s some very liquid sugar syrup or nectar. Will it be ok to put them back on the hive or does it have the risk of being fermented (not sure if that matters or is likely having been stored in the shed over winter). My inclination (and the mantra I’m trying to get the experience /confidence to adopt) is that ‘the bees will sort it out’.
Should I just remove the frames with ‘syrup/nectar’ or would they benefit from it (I’m aware that comb is precious)
Thanks

I’ve just discovered that on a couple of frames there’s some very liquid sugar syrup or nectar. Will it be ok to put them back on the hive or does it have the risk of being fermented
Put it straight back on, don't worry about it being fermented, the bees can handle it (just got to put up with the raucous singing and bottom flashing for a few hours) I put hundreds of 'fermented' frames back on in the spring, never done them any harm

Thanks. Not even sure if it is fermented, but I figure if they don’t like it they won’t touch it. I’m trying to be a whole lot less paranoid about this beekeeping malarkey - all summer was worrying about wasps, robbing, hornets, ... winter it was starvation, damp, wax moth and varroa - now we’re getting towards spring it’s swarming, and a whole lot more. I thought beekeeping was supposed to be therapeutic and relaxing!
thanks for the advice..the contributors on this forum are great and it’s usefulness is getting better as I worry less!

Thanks. Not even sure if it is fermented, but I figure if they don’t like it they won’t touch it. I’m trying to be a whole lot less paranoid about this beekeeping malarkey - all summer was worrying about wasps, robbing, hornets, ... winter it was starvation, damp, wax moth and varroa - now we’re getting towards spring it’s swarming, and a whole lot more. I thought beekeeping was supposed to be therapeutic and relaxing!
thanks for the advice..the contributors on this forum are great and it’s usefulness is getting better as I worry less!
You missed out dreaming about the bees.
Same as JBM here...I store my super frames wet....a tip I picked up here, much to the head shaking and consternation of my local association....
The shed has the whiff of a brewery in the spring, but the old pollen tips out where the pollen mites have been at work and the bees are straight up into the slightly sticky frames when the supers go on

It's therapeutic insofar as it keeps you thinking so your brain doesn't atrophy ☺️

In the same vane, I got some sealed tins of T & L Golden Syrup which were OOD. I am thinking of using them to make a dilute stimulus feed on some of my hives. Does anyone know about HMF levels in such a source ?

Thoughts ?

I think golden syrup manufacture still involves acid invertion in which case there will indeed be HMF present so not a good idea to feed to bees. Golden syrup (like honey) can be eaten well past its so called "best before date" so use it yourself on pancakes, in cake making etc

Last edited:
In the same vane, I got some sealed tins of T & L Golden Syrup which were OOD. I am thinking of using them to make a dilute stimulus feed on some of my hives. Does anyone know about HMF levels in such a source ?

Thoughts ?
Agree with MBK don’t feed to bees
Cook with it. You can use it instead if sugar in cakes. Just up the proportion of SR flour and baking powder

Hard not to worry, our mentor always says don't over think things the bees can sort it out

Hard not to worry, our mentor always says don't over think things the bees can sort it out
Up to a point. That's what my mentor said, but after 5 weeks of bad weather, my bees are not sorted out all. Advice on feeding and checking brood would have been more helpful!

Latest posts

Back